Solved

Backup encryption key testing

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Is there a way to test the encryption key on backups without having to run a restore? I ran into a situation recently where the encryption password did not work on restored data. I want to setup Enterprise Manager for everyone, but in the interim, I’d like to manually test each encryption key and reset it/run a new full backup if need be.

Is there a way to recover an encryption key with Service Provider Console?

icon

Best answer by Mildur 30 August 2021, 16:15

View original

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Happy to help :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

We are testing it with the Configuration Restore Wizard.

In the Restore Wizard, there is a step to put in the password. If it works, the configuration backup was correctly decrypted. I assume it will work with the backup files too.

If you need to test it, install vbr on a second server and import the restore points.

VSPC cannot decrypt the passwords.

PS:

Or you can use the extract utility. It will ask for the password too.

Extract Utility - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

extract.exe -dir [-vm vmname] [-host hostname] [-password backupkey] pathtobackup

Displaying List of Machines in Backup - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Thank you!!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

We are testing it with the Configuration Restore Wizard.

In the Restore Wizard, there is a step to put in the password. If it works, the configuration backup was correctly decrypted. I assume it will work with the backup files too.

If you need to test it, install vbr on a second server and import the restore points.

VSPC cannot decrypt the passwords.

PS:

Or you can use the extract utility. It will ask for the password too.

Extract Utility - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

extract.exe -dir [-vm vmname] [-host hostname] [-password backupkey] pathtobackup

Displaying List of Machines in Backup - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Comment