Windows Server 2022 Released – What to remember before you start upgrading!

Show first post

57 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Has anyone already upgraded? 

I’ve done fresh deployments on 2022 with v11a so far. Have had the Windows Server IIS role have a freak out once that messed up a Veeam ONE install but I’ve not pin pointed the root cause yet to report to Microsoft or Veeam… otherwise been spot on! And definitely don’t upgrade any ReFS repository server from 2019 to 2022 atm…

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I do not see the need for a Windows upgrade in a Veeam environment. I also do not recommend this step.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I think it is too early… Some are probably testing!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’ve done fresh deployments on 2022 with v11a so far. Have had the Windows Server IIS role have a freak out once that messed up a Veeam ONE install but I’ve not pin pointed the root cause yet to report to Microsoft or Veeam… otherwise been spot on! And definitely don’t upgrade any ReFS repository server from 2019 to 2022 atm…

Same here.  And we will not be upgrading any repo ReFS servers.  We will deploy new, add to SOBR and then seal off the extents on Win2019 in the SOBR so data ages out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

We don‘t do in place upgrades in our company.

But we are testing the new edition with our applications.

We neither, always install a new version of the OS from scratch, doing in place upgrades is not recommended in my opinion, always take old settings - DLLs - etc. with the new installation - I don’t like it. Prefer to install new OS and migrate configuration backup

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks @MicoolPaul 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

We don‘t do in place upgrades in our company.

But we are testing the new edition with our applications.

We neither, always install a new version of the OS from scratch, doing in place upgrades is not recommended in my opinion, always take old settings - DLLs - etc. with the new installation - I don’t like it. Prefer to install new OS and migrate configuration backup

This is one of the biggest problems, either due to apps no supporting in-place upgrade or not supporting the newer OS, less of a problem these days but still very much exists.

Comment