Veeam Backup & Replication v12 – My Top v12 Features

Show first post

48 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I wonder if v12 will support ESXi 8?

It will eventually but not right out of the box.  Typically, 2-3 months after release from VMware then Veeam works to support it.

This topic was discussed on the a forum thread too: https://forums.veeam.com/vmware-vsphere-f24/vsphere-8-0-support-t83085.html

Yeah that is where I watch these kind of things when they are asked. 👍

Hello!

Any cloud provider features at v12?

Especially Veeam Self-Service Backup Portal (VBEM).

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hello!

There are many features that help improve for Cloud Providers for sure but not sure about this. We are looking forward to many new features ourselves.

Have you been able to test or let us know if we can write live to a S3 bucket. To date it is necessary to create a backup in Y with a copy on disk.Thanks for your feedback

Let's go even further. Could we consider creating the Veeam Server via AWS Marketplace V12, fetching the data from an on-prem server and launching a backup on AWS S3 live? The idea is to put Veeam in the cloud, before migrating the data server 100% to the cloud.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I have never done such a scenario. I think this could be possible, because you should be able to attach and use a AWS S3 bucket from a VBR server on AWS….
Just be sure not to use this bucket with two servers at the same time.

But we have some cloud experts here in the community who can tell us for sure….

Userlevel 5
Badge

will we be able to ship directly from veean agents to immutable amazon s3 buckets?

That is certainly something I hope for to protect our VM-customers in Azure.. 

I though soft-delete in Azure was a kind of protection for Ransomware attack (Microsoft claim it is). But it is not. You can actually just switch it off, and you can then also delete EXISTING backups.. 

Very nice post,thanks. Looking forward to try all these features on our environment, move backup and retry individual, I think I´ll love them 

Userlevel 1

Is it still possible to easily extract the veeam accounts with a simple powershell script or is it finally fixed?

Userlevel 5
Badge

I must admit that skipping the middle man capacity tier will be much welcomed from my point of view :) We have never used it so far (beside the exercises and disaster training) and it will certainly reduce the cost for us and hopefully give us a little more margin on our services. 

Any idea if Veeam will ever get rid of the  full + incremental backup chain?  So many other backup products complete 1 full and after use hash marks to count changes, therefore every backup is a “full”, with no reliance on previous backups.

thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Any idea if Veeam will ever get rid of the  full + incremental backup chain?  So many other backup products complete 1 full and after use hash marks to count changes, therefore every backup is a “full”, with no reliance on previous backups.

thanks

I highly doubt that will ever change but you could ask or put this suggestion on the Forums.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Amiller are you talking about amending new data into the main “full” file? I would never want that in the Veeam product because that could easily lead to fragmentation & bloat within the file, I also wouldn’t want any manipulation of the full file because this would be incompatible with immutable backups in their present form, where the files are locked. Finally, I don’t want any unnecessary manipulation of existing files, the benefit to a full + incrementals is if the incremental backup failed due to any number of reasons such as BSOD or power failure, the pre-existing full & previous incremental points would all have a high probability of surviving the fault without any corrupted data, as they were static and only read from, whereas a manipulated file is questionable.

If that’s not how your other backup software works I’d love to know more and see if there’s some benefits to Veeam using this 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’m hoping that Per-VM backup chains isn’t becoming a requirement.  The reason for not doing per-VM is to take advantage of dedupe.  If you consider a typical enterprise environment with Prod, Test, and Dev VMs running a largely duplicate dataset being backed-up to disk, the ability to group these into a single backup file that dedupes this data results in huge space savings.

As far as I can see it is turned on for any repository you add but you can turn it off as well.  So, it is not a hard requirement.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/platform_support.html?ver=120

It’s supported.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It’s supported.

I can confirm it works as well using ESXi 8 in my homelab for a while now. 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Appreciate it @vmJoe 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Does V12 also supports the OnPremise backup Repository that is Immutable?

AFAIK, Azure Storage account does not support Immutability yet as of this time I write the reply.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hello!

CDP replica for sure!

Badge +1

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Good shout, @coolsport00 that is exactly what Veeamover was born to do @ShrikrushnaBhutekar 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

It’s supported.

I can confirm it works as well using ESXi 8 in my homelab for a while now. 😎

Amazing Chris, good to know it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I just had a situation where the vmover saved my bacon. Had to free up some SAN space, and had to data I didn’t want to delete, but didn’t REALLY need to keep around. I moved it off quickly and we are back in business.!

I’ve also bee moving jobs around and it’s been so convenient!

Comment