[PowerShell, PowerCLI] Check for VMs that are not being backuped

Show first post

34 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

just a regular vmdk backup.

thank for looking into this. 

I would run the command Get-VBRRestorePoint to see if the restore point is reported.

Userlevel 1

no results on it , interesting 

I get results on other Systems but not this one

What is that mean exactly ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Does this VM have a parent backup job or is it an imported backup? Just a guess from my side, but Get-VBRRestorePoint could possibly only show restorepoints for existing jobs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

no results on it , interesting 

I get results on other Systems but not this one

What is that mean exactly ? 

Could it be, you changed the name of the VM in the last 1024 days? But also the VM-name is not correct in your query:

Userlevel 1

that is just a addition to the name we add in Vsphere , if I try to use that in a query. 

The only thing that might have changed would be restore from backup but can’t say for sure. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

that is just a addition to the name we add in Vsphere , if I try to use that in a query. 

The only thing that might have changed would be restore from backup but can’t say for sure. 

you forgot quotes: Get-VBRRestorePoint -Name “STVP-UT11 Print Server”

Userlevel 1

good point

That shows restore points from the query. 

Those backups are too old for us to be used anyway, I think what I will do is to purge them and set up new one for that box. I don’t see any other servers with this problem. 

I realize this might be off topic but is there a script that would get us output of restore points older than x years and purge ones older than specified date or is it all based on configured retention only? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

You are right. You have to ask yourself if it is a good idea to define a VM as backed up when the newest restore point is 3 years old. You can add some logic to the script to calculate the age of a each restore point. Then you have to decide how old a restore point can be to take a VM as currently backed up. 

Userlevel 1

I was hoping that Veeam Legend would be kind enough to help us out with that :) 

Comment