Solved

Improvement Idea: SureBackup & Pre/Post Repositories

• 4 November 2020
  • 6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey,

Don’t know about you guys but I feel Veeam are missing what could be a very successful trick here with their SureBackup and Pre/Post Processing script functionalities. I know we have VeeamHub for some PowerShell scripts but I think to really push the value of Veeam integrating into our customers’ enterprise application stacks it would be great to have a more direct interface of getting scripts into Veeam.

I’ve seen plenty of systems integrating “stores” or other web fronts to enable simple access. It’d be great to see ways of integrating with systems that have been seen as “traditionally” unfriendly to snapshoting and also to validate more complex workloads.

I’m sure there are plenty of great scripts out there that just aren’t being shared due to lack of visibility of the existing platforms but driving it into the client would really improve feature take up.

That’s my opinion anyway, how do you all feel about this? Wouldn’t you like vendors to be able to offer a one click “it just works” approach to protecting their virtual appliances or validating recoverability of their software?

icon

Best answer by haslund 5 November 2020, 14:14

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I agree. Something like a repository with tested scripts/integrations would be very useful. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Great idea, fortunately such a repository already exists today: VeeamHub. This is stored on GitHub and you can find some examples already there:

There are more inside so please do take a look :thumbsup_tone1:

For pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts they are in VeeamHub too and there are some examples already for MySQL, Novell, and SAP-Hana.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@haslund Thanks for the links! I have to say, I was not aware of this repository!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Great idea, fortunately such a repository already exists today: VeeamHub. This is stored on GitHub and you can find some examples already there:

For pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts they are in VeeamHub too and there are some examples already for MySQL, Novell, and SAP-Hana.

This is definitely a great resource, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that very few people are aware of VeeamHub and when we talk about reasons why people aren’t using SureBackup I think the fact these scripts are separate with no direction from Veeam to them limits most people’s success with the product.

Also I think this is the best answer but the mobile version has freaked out on me and marked vNote42 as the answer and won’t let me change it :(

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thanks i was looking for this in the past, i did some test to launch some awx/scheduler (vtom,rundeck) call

Comment