Automatically create vSphere roles to use with Veeam Backup & Replication

• 2 November 2020
  • 7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Since I was tired to click roles together in vCenter server, I wrote a simple script on creating a vCenter role for Veeam with PowerCLI.

This PowerShell / PowerCLI script lets you create a new vCenter server role with all the cumulative privileges and permissions to use them with Veeam Backup & Replication V10.

The privileges used are based on the recommendations out of the Veeam Help Center which you can find here: Cumulative Permission for VMware vSphere – Veeam Help Center

Simply execute the script and follow the steps to fill in the relevant data like your vCenter server name, the username and your password. The script will then ask you to choose a name for your new role and automatically creates it.

The script in action

The script was successfully tested against:

• VMware vCenter 6.5
  • VMware vCenter 6.7
  • VMware vCenter 7.0

You can read about this on my blog:https://www.virtualhome.blog/2020/04/22/creating-a-vcenter-role-for-veeam-with-powercli/

The script is online at github: https://github.com/falkobanaszak/vCenter-role-for-Veeam

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thanks for sharing, falkob! Automating new user-privileges is always a good practice.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hey, this is useful. We have discussions with the ESX guys with every new xSphere Cluster to get the neccessary users wth the correct res and access rights.

I will have a closer look at this script :grinning:

Thanks for sharing.

Userlevel 1

Hello falkob,

great Job.. Many thanks for sharing..

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

This can surely save a lot of time with repetitive tasks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Loving this one Falko.  Trying to get it used in our Production environment to automate things.  Using it at home for testing, etc. in the homelab too. :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Loving this one Falko.  Trying to get it used in our Production environment to automate things.  Using it at home for testing, etc. in the homelab too. :sunglasses:

This could save a lot of time :heart_eyes:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This could save a lot of time :heart_eyes:

Yes it does for sure.

Comment