Sticky V12 Upgrade Center

V12 Upgrade Center

V12 Upgrade Center
Userlevel 7
Badge +10

V12 IS HERE! Much like last year’s V11 Upgrade Center we are doing one for V12! Similar format and check back for updates, as we will have additional resources and I’ll get the latest information from the product management and support teams that should be relayed here. 

This text was last updated:   1-August 2023 (All subsequent updates in the Post-Publish Updates section)

Pre-Installation Section

Licensing

• A valid universal license for V11 will work for V12, so if you’ve sorted that already you are good to go and that license will carry the same expiration date over to an upgraded Veeam Backup & Replication Server
  • You may need to obtain a license or ensure you have access to the licensing portal.
  • Note that if you do not have access to the licensing portal (including for your current license), such as if the person who used to do this is no longer in your organization, you can open a Licensing type of case:

Must-See Information

• As listed in the What’s New Document, NAS backup to tape is a new capability. There is a small note to share, generally speaking the advice is to make sure that you do not make a NAS to disk backup job and a separate NAS to tape backup job; that would consume two licenses. See the text from What’s New below, with the underlined parts of most important. 
    NAS backup to tape — By popular demand, you can now use file share backups as a source for Backup to Tape jobs, thus enabling the classic Disk to Disk to Tape (D2D2T) backup approach for your enterprise NAS filers and file shares. To ensure recoverability at any point in time, this functionality exports files and folders to tape in the native format as opposed to copying blobs of the proprietary NOSQL database behind NAS backups. Since it’s a secondary backup, this functionality does not consume a license.
  • The “Transform previous backup chains into rollbacks" has been deprecated, see this Veeam KB: KB4390: Feature Deprecation: "Transform previous backup chains into rollbacks" (veeam.com)
  • VERY IMPORTANT:  If you are using a service from a Veeam Cloud Service Provider (VCSP), ensure that the service provider is ready for your upgrade. The Early Availability Release or RTM release, build #1402 will need a patch upon GA to go to build #1420. This patch is due later the week of GA, will update here soon. The Installer will warn you in advance, but it is essential you do not upgrade until the Provider informs you that they have upgraded, as this will impact all Cloud Connect functionality with that Provider adversely.
  • Updated 17-Feb: RTM Builds: If the RTM build (#1402) is in use - the GA .ISO build (#1420) will not upgrade to the GA build; please install the RTM to GA Patch: KB4415: Release Information for Veeam Backup & Replication 12 Day 0 Update
  • If cloud plug-ins are used… At GA the Veeam Backup for Google Cloud v4 plug-in is ready, the AWS and Azure plug-ins will be GA a few weeks after V12’s GA. (See Post-Publish Updates - AWS plug-in has taken an update).
  • If the orchestrator product is used… Soon after V12’s GA, we expect Veeam Recovery Orchestrator to GA with the new capabilities.
  • VMware vCloud Director 10.4 is supported with V12, replacing the previous hotfix workaround in this Veeam KB: KB4352: VMware Cloud Director 10.4 Compatibility Patches (veeam.com)
  • Over the coming days, watch the Veeam Ready list for any updates post-v12 for partner solutions that you may have of interest: https://www.veeam.com/alliance-partner-technical-programs.html?page=1

Upgrading an Installation to V12

• From Veeam.com, clicking on Downloads, find the download for V12 that you want. I recommend downloading the “Veeam Data Platform — Advanced” bundle that includes Veeam Backup & Replication V12 and Veeam ONE V12
  • Before an upgrade, ensure your configuration backups are running, are successful, and you know how to get to that storage resource as well as an encryption password if used.
  • Before an upgrade, obtain your single-use credentials on Linux for the VHR if that is used (hardened repository).
  • Support has advised me throughout the RTM phase to ensure that a correct order of operations on an upgrade is followed:
    • First upgrades:  Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager, Veeam ONE
    • Second upgrade: Veeam Backup & Replication
    • Third upgrade: Remote components & agents

Post-Publish Updates

Upgrading to V12 Videos

We’ve created a few videos (four are planned) on upgrading to V12, and we’ll share these with some context. Before you do an upgrade, I recommend taking a backup of the components in play (an image-based backup) and also ensure the Veeam Configuration backup is running. You can also download Veeam Community Edition to make a backup of the key Veeam components completely out of band if you want.

Veeam ONE V12 Upgrade:  The first video is from @kirststoner12 on upgrading Veeam ONE to V12:

Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager Upgrade: The second video is upgrading one of my environments from V11A to V12:

Veeam Backup & Replication Upgrade: The third video is upgrading one of my VBR servers from V11A to V12:

While my environment proceeded without issue, we realize not all environments will behave the same. If you need help, you can open a case at the Customer Portal.

103 comments

BIG thanks to the TW team for making an Upgrade guide great again! Everything you need to know about B&R upgrade: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/upgrade_vbr_byb.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Looking forward to testing the upgrade process this week in preparation for our rollout.  Will keep an eye on this thread for sure.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

BIG thanks to the TW team for making an Upgrade guide great again! Everything you need to know about B&R upgrade: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/upgrade_vbr_byb.html?ver=120

Thanks, @Dima P.  → Added to the main section, I didn’t see it in its new home vs stanadlone part.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Rick Vanover -- not sure if you know yet but can RTM be upgraded to GA, or will we need to wait on a patch?  I am going to be testing with GA regardless so that is not an issue at all for my company.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Chris.Childerhose

It’s in Ricks topic. A patch is required. The ISO cannot be used to update from RTM to GA.

The Early Availability Release or RTM release, build #1402 will need a patch upon GA to go to build #1420. This patch is due later the week of GA, will update here soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Chris.Childerhose

It’s in Ricks topic. A patch is required. The ISO cannot be used to update from RTM to GA.

The Early Availability Release or RTM release, build #1402 will need a patch upon GA to go to build #1420. This patch is due later the week of GA, will update here soon.

Thanks, Mildur as I missed that when reading the post.  🙄

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Rick Vanover -- not sure if you know yet but can RTM be upgraded to GA, or will we need to wait on a patch?  I am going to be testing with GA regardless so that is not an issue at all for my company.

We expect that patch later in the week, I’m working on the details of that - will have more info later today/tomorrow.

Userlevel 4

Great! thank you

Userlevel 1

Any articles as of yet on setting up the system for MFA and gMSA?

Userlevel 1

awesome work! thanks to the team :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Are you referring to blog articles or the Help documentation?  Not sure on blogs but the Help documentation is updated about it. 

Multi-Factor Authentication - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

We expect that patch later in the week, I’m working on the details of that - will have more info later today/tomorrow.

The Installer will warn you in advance, but it is essential you do not upgrade until the Provider informs you that they have upgraded, as this will impact all Cloud Connect functionality with that Provider adversely.

Did I get that correctly: even with us as VCSPs already on 1402, VCSP tenants should not go to 1420 unless we’re also on 1420?

So there is something more important in 1420 than expected? 

Or does that just relate to V12 at the provider’s site at all?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Good one - I can add, but won’t be in here. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The Installer will warn you in advance, but it is essential you do not upgrade until the Provider informs you that they have upgraded, as this will impact all Cloud Connect functionality with that Provider adversely.

Did I get that correctly: even with us as VCSPs already on 1402, VCSP tenants should not go to 1420 unless we’re also on 1420?

There will be a patch to go from 1402 to 1420, which should be more lightweight than a full upgrade. (As I understand it). I do believe a VCSP could take today’s GA and go to 1420 from 1402 RTM, however. I’ll advise if this is NOT the case.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

There will be a patch to go from 1402 to 1420, which should be more lightweight than a full upgrade. (As I understand it). I do believe a VCSP could take today’s GA and go to 1420 from 1402 RTM, however. I’ll advise if this is NOT the case.  

Apologies if I’ve misread your last sentence, but tried to run an upgrade in our lab from 1402 RTM to 1420 GA using today’s GA ISO, but doesn’t appear to be an option:

Userlevel 1
Badge

Are there any plans to update the https://bp.veeam.com/ content now that v12 has gone GA? The v11 PB has been invaluable so would love to see this updated to reflect v12 capabilities and best practice.

Userlevel 5

Team, any details about when repositories for Agent for Linux will be updated with v6?

https://repository.veeam.com/backup/linux/agent/dpkg/debian/public/pool/veeam/v/veeamsnap/

Regards,

Alexey

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

D  Team, any details about when repositories for Agent for Linux will be updated with v6?

https://repository.veeam.com/backup/linux/agent/dpkg/debian/public/pool/veeam/v/veeamsnap/

Regards,

Alexey

Are there any plans to update the https://bp.veeam.com/ content now that v12 has gone GA? The v11 PB has been invaluable so would love to see this updated to reflect v12 capabilities and best practice.

Reality is → Best practices guide needs to be field proved & tested; so give it a few months!  

Userlevel 5

D  Team, any details about when repositories for Agent for Linux will be updated with v6?

Regards,

Alexey

Reality is → Best practices guide needs to be field proved & tested; so give it a few months!  

That sounds more like an answer to Scott’s question, not mine 🙂 Or you mean to publish installation files will take few months as well?

Thank you once again for this great ressources! Really appreciate your work!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Regards,

Alexey

That sounds more like an answer to Scott’s question, not mine 🙂 Or you mean to publish installation files will take few months as well?

Yes, a misfire on my part. For the Linux repositories - let me look into this. The new agent should be on the .ISO however.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Apologies if I’ve misread your last sentence, but tried to run an upgrade in our lab from 1402 RTM to 1420 GA using today’s GA ISO, but doesn’t appear to be an option:

So this does mean that RTM builds will require the Day 0 patch, which is due before the end of the week @replicatius → I’ll update the content and post the link to the patch when we have it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

So this does mean that RTM builds will require the Day 0 patch, which is due before the end of the week @replicatius → I’ll update the content and post the link to the patch when we have it.

Thanks so much Rick! Appreciate you being so attentive as always.

Userlevel 5

Regards,

Alexey

Yes, a misfire on my part. For the Linux repositories - let me look into this. The new agent should be on the .ISO however.

Its all sorted now, thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Cool, thanks @AlexeyGoncharov 

Comment