Solved

unable to delete restore point content, it keep reappearing.

Userlevel 2

HI

i try to clean up restore point from GUI, no error but the restore point just wont disappear. i try to do it in command is same result.

icon

Best answer by jaiganeshjk 29 December 2022, 11:14

View original

16 comments

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @kelvin koh Thanks for posting this question.
Deleting a restorepointcontent will trigger another action called RetireAction that retires all the artifacts that are captured as a part of the restorepoint.

If this retireaction fails, the restorepoints will not be removed.

You will have to look at the YAML of the retireAction to find the reason for failure in the status fields.

Userlevel 2

Hi @jaiganeshjk 

i use verbose level 2 ad i saw the following error. but this is strange i can delete any other snapshot entirely but except this one. by the way i dont see any job activity show at the k10 portal that allow me to track the status of the deleting job.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

That message is fine. 
You will have to use the filter in the dashboard home page and select System Actions in the filter.

There will be a retireaction showing up as soon as you delete the RPC.

Userlevel 2

@jaiganeshjk 

phases:
  - attempt: 3
    endTime: null
    errors:
      - cause: '{"cause":{"cause":{"cause":{"message":"profiles.config.kio.kasten.io
          \"vbr\" not
          found"},"fields":[{"name":"name","value":"vbr"},{"name":"namespace","value":"kasten-io"}],"file":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase/datamover_export.go:329","function":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase.getLocationAndCredsFromKanisterArtifact","linenumber":329,"message":"Failure
          retrieving K10
          profile"},"file":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase/datamover_export.go:240","function":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase.dmDeleteUploadedSnapshot","linenumber":240,"message":"Failed
          to retrieve location and credential from
          artifact"},"file":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase/retire_restorepoint.go:442","function":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase.(*retireRestorePointPhase).retireGenericVolumeSnapshots","linenumber":442,"message":"Failed
          to retire some of the generic volume snapshots"}'
          \"vbr\" not
          found"},"fields":[{"name":"name","value":"vbr"},{"name":"namespace","value":"kasten-io"}],"file":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase/datamover_export.go:329","function":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase.getLocationAndCredsFromKanisterArtifact","linenumber":329,"message":"Failure
          retrieving K10
          profile"},"file":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase/datamover_export.go:240","function":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase.dmDeleteUploadedSnapshot","linenumber":240,"message":"Failed
          artifact"},"file":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase/retire_restorepoint.go:442","function":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase.(*retireRestorePointPhase).retireGenericVolumeSnapshots","linenumber":442,"message":"Failed
          \"vbr\" not
          retrieving K10
    name: Retiring RestorePoint
    startTime: 2022-12-02T13:18:00Z
    state: failed
    updatedTime: 2022-12-02T13:18:52Z

Userlevel 2

seem like the message show vbr server not found. 

Userlevel 2

HI jus to update.  after many hours later, i found out that the snapshot no longer there and i didnt do anything.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

As you mentioned, K10 could not find the profile for connecting to the VBR to retire the restorepoint.

However, if it is removed, it finally found the profile during retries. Do you think the profile was removed at somepoint or added it back later ?

I don’t think anything else could be the reason for this.

Userlevel 2

@jaiganeshjk i do alot testing, i may accidently remove the profiles and readded back after that.  if the profile being removed, is that possible to clean up manually if readding the profile is not possible.

Hi, I have same problem:
error:
    cause: '{"cause":{"errors":[{"message":"Failed to wait on task:
      SystemError"},{"message":"Failed to wait on task:
      SystemError"}],"message":"2 errors have
      occurred"},"file":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase/retire_restorepoint.go:359","function":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase.retireSnapshots","linenumber":359,"message":"Failed
      to retire some of the provider snapshots"}'

Where I can see more detailed information about this error?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@jaiganeshjk i do alot testing, i may accidently remove the profiles and readded back after that.  if the profile being removed, is that possible to clean up manually if readding the profile is not possible.

@kelvin koh 

It would not be possible to retire the restorepoint from K10 forcefully without re-adding the profile.
You can do a cleanup in your external location forcefully(behind K10s back). However, your restorepointcontent pointing to the data would still be there and it cannot be retired unless you add the profile back.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi, I have same problem:
error:
    cause: '{"cause":{"errors":[{"message":"Failed to wait on task:
      SystemError"},{"message":"Failed to wait on task:
      SystemError"}],"message":"2 errors have
      occurred"},"file":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase/retire_restorepoint.go:359","function":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase.retireSnapshots","linenumber":359,"message":"Failed
      to retire some of the provider snapshots"}'

Where I can see more detailed information about this error?

@demidov , It seems your problem is different that the one stated above(It is for exported snapshot).

It seems that the deletion of snapshot from your infrastructure is timing out.

Are you using Vsphere infrastructure profile for your backups? If that is the case, can you see if you can find more information from the timed out task from the vsphere client UI ?

Thank’s, it seems a vmware problem: 
“ Delete a virtual object snapshot

Status

A general system error occurred: Change tracking invalid or disk in use”

Userlevel 2

Sorry marked the wrong one as best answer, how to undo?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@kelvin koh Not sure.

Probably admins can.

@Madi.Cristil / @Debarshi_K10 , Would you be able to change the marked answer or remove the answer in this post, so that Kelvin can mark the right one ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Sure! Thank you @jaiganeshjk !😊

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@kelvin koh Can you mark the right one now?

Comment