Solved

Unable to create policy when snapshot export to VBR is enabled.

Userlevel 2

Hi

I try to create new policy and enable snapshot export. i face some error “Profile does not support collections” and i noticed the when i select the export location profile i saw “VBR profiles not permitted here”

i checked the  location profile for VBR and is valid. anyone have any ideas?

icon

Best answer by jaiganeshjk 30 November 2022, 07:53

View original

10 comments

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@kelvin koh Thanks for posting the question.

Is you environment Vsphere and the PVC that you use are vsphere CSI provisioned ?

As of today, VBR profile is supported only for Vsphere CSI provisioned volumes.

https://docs.kasten.io/latest/usage/configuration.html#veeam-backup-repository-location

Userlevel 2

@jaiganeshjk yes i only have 1 storage class which is CSI, i hope the below information can confirm it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

thanks for the details.

Actually, I misunderstood the question earlier. I see that you are trying to use VBR profiles for collection in the policy right ?

VBR profiles doesn’t support collections as of now. You will have to have an alternate S3/compatible storage for metadata storage

https://docs.kasten.io/latest/usage/protect.html#backups

Userlevel 2

@jaiganeshjk, sorry if my question make you confused, may i know what is mean by metadata storage? i did use nfs storage or sobr as the repository but still receive same error.

thank you,

Userlevel 2

i configured s3 storage for the backup and it work well. just wonder what kind of backup supported in VBR Profiles?

Userlevel 2

i finally figure out what going on here, veeam vbr profile location only supported persistent volume data, which not supported for “Export Location Profile” and “Location Profile for Kanister Actions” and i need to use S3 location profiles.  At the “export snapshot data in block mode” i can select the VBR profile to backup the persistent volumes. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Yes @kelvin koh I missed the notifications from the thread.

Yes you are right. VBR just supports Block mode export from the PVCs. It doesnt support backing up the metadata/configs/manifests etc.

All the configs/specs/metadata everything needs to go to another location.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Yes @kelvin koh I missed the notifications from the thread.

Yes you are right. VBR just supports Block mode export from the PVCs. It doesnt support backing up the metadata/configs/manifests etc.

All the configs/specs/metadata everything needs to go to another location.

:) just a related question :) @jaiganeshjk Is there any time frame available for when full export might be available to VBR, considering V12 will support S3 direct repositories? Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@Geoff Burke 

We don’t have the timelines yet. I will let you know if I get to know about it later.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

@Geoff Burke

We don’t have the timelines yet. I will let you know if I get to know about it later.

Thanks @jaiganeshjk 

Comment