Solved

Sandbox install no license

Userlevel 1

I installed in as sandbox environment, all is working but getting ‘unable to validate license’. How do I activate the free 5 node license?

icon

Best answer by jaiganeshjk 7 September 2022, 14:49

View original

13 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

hi @kyle.moore 

Hi can you give more information about which product and related licensing?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @kyle.moore, which product are you talking about? Assuming you’re referring to Kasten due to 5 node comment. 

How did you deploy Kasten? In your own private lab or from a cloud marketplace? Normally you just don’t supply a license for it to be the free/community edition.

Userlevel 1

I am running a sandbox environment on a home base esxi server running virtual machines. I installed k10 on Friday in a Rancher environment. All seemed to install just fine. I am running longhorn as well as backing up to a NFS server running on a VM. I installed by using the K10 helm chart repo within Rancher.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hello @kyle.moore ,

If metering.mode=airgap is not set in an offline cluster, some functionality will be disabled. A message warning that K10 is "Unable to validate license" will be displayed in the web based user interface. Errors containing messages "Could not get google bucket for metrics", "License check failed" and "Unable to validate license" will be logged.

https://docs.kasten.io/latest/install/offline.html

Userlevel 1

Thank you for the help and I apologize if I wasn’t clear, my sandbox environment has full internet access. For the Free 5 node cluster, will that always be considered an airgap environment?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ok, I thought your sandbox environment would not have internet access, because of the name 😎

But the offline install is the only scenario I can find for this error message. Perhaps there is a firewall or similar preventing access to the internet for kasten K10?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

BTW, there is a group “Kasten K10 Support” here in Veeam Community, designated for Kasten questions.

Perhaps @Madi.Cristil can move this topic to this group. The the kasten experts can answer this question….

Userlevel 1

Not sure that is the case, using Rancher I installed the helm repo for k10 then proceeded with the install pulling the helm charts directly from https://charts.kasten.io. All installed properly, I updated the URL to match a DNS name I gave the dashboard, I am using basic auth with the htpasswd, I am using Longhorn for storage and a local NFS server (running on a VM) for backups. I was able to log into the K10 dashboard just fine, I was able to set up my environment (meaning the disaster recovery, the nfs share under locations, etc). I set up a backup to start running over the weekend but when I came in this morning I am seeing the Unable to validate license error. Possibly just a service that needs to be restarted? Is the 5 Node license the default license if nothing else is entered?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

BTW, there is a group “Kasten K10 Support” here in Veeam Community, designated for Kasten questions.

Perhaps @Madi.Cristil can move this topic to this group. The the kasten experts can answer this question….

Moving this to Kasten K10 Support. 

Userlevel 1

Thanks you @JMeixner  and @Madi.Cristil 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Go to your settings tab and then check what it says about licensing. Also check your secrets 

kubectl get secrets -n kasten-io 

perhaps the license secret got deleted?

Userlevel 1

turns out I  had a few pods stuck, I terminated them, they respawned and all is good.  Thank you for the quick responses!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@kyle.moore Glad that the issue you were facing is sorted out.
Just for adding more information, let me explain the cause of the issue.

There are few problem that will cause the error that you mentioned in the post.

• Metering-svc pod has some issues and is crashing/restarting/stuck. This pod is responsible for providing an endpoint to validate the license. One reason for the pod to be crashing is if the mode is not set to airgap in offline clusters as rightly mentioned by @JMeixner 

If metering.mode=airgap is not set in an offline cluster, some functionality will be disabled. A message warning that K10 is "Unable to validate license" will be displayed in the web based user interface. Errors containing messages "Could not get google bucket for metrics", "License check failed" and "Unable to validate license" will be logged.

https://docs.kasten.io/latest/install/offline.html

• Other reason could be a network issue for K10 pods to reach metering-svc. Ideally from controllermanager-svc pods. These pods call metering-svc to validate the license.
  • Third one could actually be an expired license.

Let me know if I make sense and mark this as an answer as it could help others in the community.

Comment