Solved

Kasten 4.0.2: INSTALLATION FAILED: unable to build kubernetes objects from release manifest:

Userlevel 2

Hello,

I am deploying Kasten on an old version of Openshift (above 4.0.5 is not working because of the Kubernetes version).

When trying to install Kasten with Kanister sidecar injection, I get the following error:

Error: INSTALLATION FAILED: unable to build kubernetes objects from release manifest: error validating "": error validating data: [ValidationError(MutatingWebhookConfiguration.webhooks[0].clientConfig.service): unknown field "port" in io.k8s.api.admissionregistration.v1beta1.ServiceReference, ValidationError(MutatingWebhookConfiguration.webhooks[0]): unknown field "sideEffects" in io.k8s.api.admissionregistration.v1beta1.Webhook]

I tried different helm installation parameters and my last version is the following (using https://docs.kasten.io/4.0.2/install/advanced.html as reference):

helm install k10 kasten/k10 --namespace=kasten-io \

--set metering.mode=airgap \
    --set auth.tokenAuth.enabled=true \
    --set cacertconfigmap.name="custom-cert" \
    --set injectKanisterSidecar.enabled=true \
    --set injectKanisterSidecar.namespaceSelector.matchLabels=null \
    --set injectKanisterSidecar.objectSelector.matchLabels=null \
    --set injectKanisterSidecar.webhookServer.port=8080 \
    --version 4.0.2

I looked into community post but I didn’t find any solution.

I really hope somebody can help me.

Thank you for your time and effort.

icon

Best answer by jaiganeshjk 31 May 2022, 08:19

View original

4 comments

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @KastenJohn 

Thank you for posting this question.

Automatic sidecar injection won’t work in older OCP clusters.

I believe your cluster doesn’t have V1 API version for the mutatingwebhookconfiguration.

You might have to install K10 without enabling the sidecar injection and use K10tools to inject sidecars manually.

Userlevel 2

Hi @KastenJohn 

Thank you for posting this question.

Automatic sidecar injection won’t work in older OCP clusters.

I believe your cluster doesn’t have V1 API version for the mutatingwebhookconfiguration.

You might have to install K10 without enabling the sidecar injection and use K10tools to inject sidecars manually.

Thank you Jaiganesh, much appreciated your answer. I hope John and me will be able to finish this (old, unsupported) OpenShift 3.11 version.
Thanks!

Userlevel 2

Hello Jaignanesh,

Thank you very much for your answer !
I succeed to install kanister sidecar using K10tools (4.0.2 version) with your methods on most of the namespaces.

Nevertheless, all backups are failling when I trigger them using the Policy. How is it possible?

Do you have ideas on how I can make them work?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello @KastenJohn.

Great to hear you managed to install using k10tools.

Could you please provide the error messages you are facing so we can take a look, also maybe if possible the Kanister logs would help us to find the cause.

Regards

Fernando R.

Comment