Where to blog?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Folks,

After a hiatus of wild IT academia activity and other events I want to get back to doing some posts. I am thinking of setting up a separate blog and then linking on to here like I noticed some people do. Looking for any recommendations on where to host my blog from the experts here? Thanks Geoff

73 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Trust me, I have a full alphabet soup 🤠 Best of luck on the blogging adventure, you have the passion and the role with exposure to keep filling up the blog posts.

Thanks, in all seriousness the main thing is to try and stay disciplined and keep at it. Towards the end of the year I got a bit exhausted, mainly due to the whole exam marathon thing. I think putting something out once every 2 weeks or so depending on work should be good. I am going to focus mainly on Kasten but will also hopefully get my hands on a vsphere csi setup to integrate with Veeam :) .

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Geoff 🙂

I use Wordpress.com because as much as it can be rewarding to learn Wordpress and deploy your own plugins/customisations etc, it’s also remembering to patch and maintain not just the platform but the plugins and perform any platform hardening etc.

Less time maintaining = more time blogging 🙂

Welcome back NKGG!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Blogging isn’t so easy! You have to be passionate about it and other things must suffer, else it …. I still believe if the main purpose is to earn money, YouTube is the fastest way to go about it, and you must be consistent… 1000 YouTube Channel sub + 4000 watch hours within the last 365 days ….….

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The return of the Notorious KGG :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Wordpress is nice and flexible, so many plugins out there. I am using Simply.com as my host with CloudFlare (free) as a CDN in front.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Can always check out a .tech domain too.  That is my blog domain. :sunglasses:

Or a .coffee

Coffee’s never enough for those who do our job.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Maybe BurkeTech.info?

What about TheBurke.engineer ? :joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Wordpress I think is the most popular.  I have mine on that but hosted elsewhere.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Medium is highly used in IT reviews and blogging too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I am using Wordpress.com, it is a good platform.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I started at wordpress.com. after a few years I migrated to a local hoster that offers wordpress support. Wordpress is very simple to use. The only recommendation I can give you is to start with you own domain! I did not do this and migration to my own domain caused some headache.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JMeixner and @Mildur are right. You need an imprint/impressum and legal texts, like a privacy policy. It's a bit of grey zone if a technical blog would be personal or commercial; it depends on which source you consult, but at the end you're recommended to have all legals parts just to be on the safe side. Even if it's not required, I don't want to spend my time arguing about it 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

What about ITstoriesfromGeoff.com or talesfromGeoff.com? Your stories are always interesting and fun, so why not make it your blog name 😃

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Ok folks, you have convinced me to to give this a try too 🙂 Veeam Communities are so much fun and so educational, the more the better!!!

I need a blog so next week I will start one up @NikolaPejkova can you update my application to say I have a blog 🙂🙂.

So now the hard part.. what to name my blog. I think BBBARR… this will trick those thirsty IT nerds into thinking they can get beverages and lure them in, when in fact it will stand for Burke’s Brilliant Backups And Resilient Restores!!!!

Good Luck everyone!!

cheers

If you wish to gain more visibilities, you can blog on TechDirectArchive as well! We get over 200K unique visitors each month… I (we) are growing :-)

Very interesting may need to look at this too. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can always check out a .tech domain too.  That is my blog domain. :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can go with Wordpress or Blogger !

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Also a +1 for WordPress. Not long ago I did some research and compared the existing solutions, and I ended with WordPress; almost every hoster has it in its portfolio and it’s really flexible. But finally I discarded the idea of an own blog because of our great german laws...:rolling_eyes:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I assume it is the german law about the legal notice for websites. You have to write your complete address in it. At least is it this what stops me from owning a public blog.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, it is complicated :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

But an Impressum - that must include the address - is just necessary for commercial websites. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

That’s a lot. Here in Italy the must for a blog is only “Cookies policy”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Maybe BurkeTech.info?

I need something more “jazzy” :) Burke is a pretty rough surname to begin with. For the Brits it is even a put down :) “don’t be a burke”, can’t remember but I got that a lot at the Embassy. Maybe @MicoolPaul can help here, does burke in the colloquial Queen’s English still have a negative connotation? :) 

So Notorious KGG sounds cool but Notorious might scare customers away (I.e he is notoriously bad :). 

Maybe “GO with GB and remain Ransomware free”!! Man this whole blogging and marketing thing is turning out to be tougher than I thought. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Maybe BurkeTech.info?

I need something more “jazzy” :) Burke is a pretty rough surname to begin with. For the Brits it is even a put down :) “don’t be a burke”, can’t remember but I got that a lot at the Embassy. Maybe @MicoolPaul can help here, does burke in the colloquial Queen’s English still have a negative connotation? :) 

So Notorious KGG sounds cool but Notorious might scare customers away (I.e he is notoriously bad :). 

Maybe “GO with GB and remain Ransomware free”!! Man this whole blogging and marketing thing is turning out to be tougher than I thought. 

It’s a weak put down don’t worry! It’s far more offensive to call someone a donkey or a wet flannel than a Burke 😆

We’ll have to come up with some ideas for your blog name!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

A wet flannel? flannel is a kubernetes CNI https://github.com/flannel-io/flannel, I don’t use it though as if I remember correctly it does not support network policies. But a wet flannel? I guess as opposed to a hot calico https://www.tigera.io/project-calico/ which is my choice 🙂.. as for donkey I have been called that too, and a goat in Russian (being a goat in Russian is nicht gut!!), never understand this slant against poor goats but… 

Anyways, I feel a lot better now :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Ok after numerous (gratis 🙂 ) consultations with @MicoolPaul he has convinced me to keep the title simple, lean and mean. It is the content that needs to shine! Anyways, here it goes. I will try to make this not only IT technical but entertaining as well.

http://geoffburkeblog.com

Comment