What do you miss from your Veeam B&R ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi Folks,

It came to my mind long time ago this question, and my answer, but last night after chatting with a friend of mine, the topic came out to the table, so here it comes...

What do you miss from your Veeam B&R?

And my first answer would be, a Linux Based Appliance, getting rid of the Windows Based Installation at all.

I've been "struggling" with this many times, usually people that doesn't want to have a Windows Machine (most of the time, they are full Linux / Unix Infra), or can’t afford a Windows Server License.

What do you think?

Best regards.

Luis.

24 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

There are definitely more roles coming to Linux in v12 like Proxies, Tape servers and such so that is getting up part of the way there.  It will still be some time before a full Linux stack can be deployed for all components for sure.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yeah, a linux backup server is certainly a requested item, but as Chris mentioned, additional roles are being developed.  It just takes time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

As long as the documentation is there, I am ok either way. We have our own internal policies for Windows, but not as much for Linux. 

If it’s an appliance, I wonder if Veeam will maintain the OS patches as part of the updates? I haven't installed Linux repos yet so I am unaware how that works. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

As long as the documentation is there, I am ok either way. We have our own internal policies for Windows, but not as much for Linux. 

If it’s an appliance, I wonder if Veeam will maintain the OS patches as part of the updates? I haven't installed Linux repos yet so I am unaware how that works. 

This is definitely what I am hoping for is that they do a virtual appliance for VBR that has all roles encompassed and then you can add more servers to the infrastructure. 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

This is definitely what I am hoping for is that they do a virtual appliance for VBR that has all roles encompassed and then you can add more servers to the infrastructure. 😁

You know, to top that off, I don’t want to be responsible for the patching, and with that, Veeam could REALLY lock this thing down using Root accounts that even we don’t have access too, with passwords that change and support has to use an authenticator to modify. They could make the whole OS read only pretty much..

We had systems like that when I worked at IBM that customers would call for access and we would use authenticators and our SUPER ADMIN accounts.  Was always neat to log in with more access than the users on their own systems. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You know, to top that off, I don’t want to be responsible for the patching, and with that, Veeam could REALLY lock this thing down using Root accounts that even we don’t have access too, with passwords that change and support has to use an authenticator to modify. They could make the whole OS read only pretty much..

We had systems like that when I worked at IBM that customers would call for access and we would use authenticators and our SUPER ADMIN accounts.  Was always neat to log in with more access than the users on their own systems. 

Ah, a good old DR500 or something similar…. 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Honestly, I want a clustered Veeam option. Have a Veeam instance per site, all syncing config, so every site can be the master orchestrator of its backup jobs (when VBR is at a remote/DR site for DR readiness and the MPLS goes down you’ve got no backup jobs to run), but the other sites could have synchronisation of failover plans etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Fully managed and deployed VBR on linux with ansible/terraform 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Honestly, I want a clustered Veeam option. Have a Veeam instance per site, all syncing config, so every site can be the master orchestrator of its backup jobs (when VBR is at a remote/DR site for DR readiness and the MPLS goes down you’ve got no backup jobs to run), but the other sites could have synchronisation of failover plans etc.

This. So much.   Stack up a VBR at DR, Replicate and away we go.     I don’t even care if both are “active” It could be an active/passive solution, then in the event of a disaster, set the DR site to active and save the time of creating a new server, connecting to repos, proxys etc. 

Yes I can move VBR to the DR site, but if that site goes I have to do it all on the other end. We run stuff at our DR site too and replicate it back to our main DC. SRM does such a good job of this with SAN replication and 2 servers.

All Veeam would need to do is replicate their DB to the remote site in synchronous replication.  It seems like it  would be pretty easy. Heck, we already have SQL always on here. 

One day I see this being implemented. maybe V13 or V14

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Let’s start small: ability to filter in Console, and I mean filter not search. Like only for errors or warning. Search the content of task logs in Console, instead of running powershell scripts to search my 60+GB of logs when error xyz occured last time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thank you all for the comments and ideas!

For sure V12 will come up with tons of great and new features, for sure,

I was just wondering to caught these ideas and share them with everybody.

😁

Br.

Luis.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Let’s start small: ability to filter in Console, and I mean filter not search. Like only for errors or warning. Search the content of task logs in Console, instead of running powershell scripts to search my 60+GB of logs when error xyz occured last time.

@Ralf doesn’t Views already do the first one? :) https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/job_filter.html?ver=110 You can just set a custom view that only has errors and warnings.

As for the log diving part, I get what you’re saying, but I guess knowing the log structure probably would be more useful and make the searching a lot easier. Not sure if a basic log diving course is something people are interested in, but it's definitely a subject that I can talk about at length.

(P.S., I hope you’re using ripgrep instead of native powershell text tools :D Powershell itself is not built well for text munging, but ripgrep can be installed via chocolatey on powershell and gives you grep superpowers even in Powershell)

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

The view is bases on jobs. What I want is a filter on tasks. Job filter does not cover offload tasks, and I want to see the the history of tasks with errors/warnings for a custom time. To me this filter is useless and does not give me the information that is typicially needed in operations or to investigate a problem.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Well, no I get you, but right now there’s not a specific task filter, but any job with a task in a warning/failed state will also be flagged similarly, so more or less it does the same, and then you can just order based on status; I realize it’s not a _full_ filter, but it’s probably the fastest way to still sort items.

But I get your point that you want to be able to have the UI reflect tasks, not just job level items, even if job level indicates whether specific tasks need action.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Maybe I was unclear with “tasks”. I don’t want an additional view based of individual job tasks. The view based on jobs like in the last 24h section or in history is fine. But the custom job filter that you describe only show the last job state. Not it’s history, eg. all failed jobs with error/warning.

Sorting by job state in the history does not help as there is no way to sort by data then (at least I don’t know how). I’ve talked about this feature for a long time over and over with support and they know that this is missing and they are also frustrated in remote sessions when they have to find the needed information.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Ah, okay now I do get you; indeed, I was being too literal with the term “Task” as it has a specific internal meaning and I indeed got hooked on that.

And indeed, a search parameter in the section you want would be useful; as for sorting by Date, you can actually select all jobs of same type with shift+click and right-click and it will produce a date-sorted report of each session.

I get it’s some manual clicking, but would it help here? Obviously there’s also Powershell where it’s quite simple, but I’m guessing you want to avoid that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I agree with more error reporting, history, and viewing log events with a filter/search would be really cool. in the console. or the ability to view more historical stats from a job when clicking it.  Is it within the time,speed range or is it running slower than usual etc. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

A dreamed option also for me would be a “native” integration with Telegram, Teams, Slack, Discord… would be awesome to get the notifications from the console directly to a messaging group, not a “simple” mail.

I don't usually check the mail after hours, but I would love to get a message when I choose, Positive or Negative, depending on your needs / chosen option.

😁

Cheers.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

And indeed, a search parameter in the section you want would be useful; as for sorting by Date, you can actually select all jobs of same type with shift+click and right-click and it will produce a date-sorted report of each session.

In the history section? I just tried this and I don’t know who this should work, there is no option to sort by right click. 

What I did:

• go to history → Jobs → Backup
  • search for a jobname in the search field
  • then I usuall have to decide if I want to sort by date or status

So I could always sort by date, but as I can’t filter by status=error it does not help as I want to only see the failed jobs sorted by time. Not sure how your example would help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

No, try sorting by status, pick the top, then shift+click the last item you want included.

Right click on the selection, and select “Report”.

It will make an HTML report for just the selected entries, sorted by date.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

This is somehow working but it’s really only a workaround. I don’t give up the hope that some day Veeam will implement a proper filter feature. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

You know - In my role I see just as many people who don’t want to use Linux as those who don’t want to use Windows.  Kinda’ reminds me of the old Novell vs Microsoft days! 😁

I would like to see more role-based-access and self service functions with a main Veeam portal.  Kind of combine what you get in the Veeam Service Provider Console (SSPC) with the Backup Enterprise Manager (BEM) and the full functionality of the VBR thick client.  And extend that out to RBAC for the Explorers.  Let application end users use the explorers for application restore without having to get into VBR.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

You know - In my role I see just as many people who don’t want to use Linux as those who don’t want to use Windows.  Kinda’ reminds me of the old Novell vs Microsoft days! 😁

I would like to see more role-based-access and self service functions with a main Veeam portal.  Kind of combine what you get in the Veeam Service Provider Console (SSPC) with the Backup Enterprise Manager (BEM) and the full functionality of the VBR thick client.  And extend that out to RBAC for the Explorers.  Let application end users use the explorers for application restore without having to get into VBR.

I agree with you @vmJoe full web functionalities will be amazing in short term then linux possibility.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Oh my gosh!...Joe said NOVELL! I cringe! 🤣 
Personally, I’m ok with VBR on Windows. I do appreciate, & now recently starting using, some Linux features (Hardened Repo, e.g.). I despise any & all web-based clients, and yes that includes vSphere Client. I do understand why they end up getting implemented, but I still don’t like ‘em. I’m a ‘thick client’ person through & through. hahaha

Nice question!

Cheers!

Comment