Wasabi Cloud NAS

• 26 September 2022
  • 9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Somewhat not Veeam related, but I figured there is a good group of folks in here to ask.  Earlier we were discussing the largest VM’s we backup in VBR, and I noted that I was looking for maybe a solution to for offloading large amounts of archive data to Wasabi, but still wanting to access the data as a share.  I sent a quick message over to my Wasabi rep and he referred me to the Wasabi Cloud NAS service which I do actually remember hearing about a few weeks ago but forgot about.  Does anyone have any practical experience with it?

And to keep it Veeam related, I was going to ask if anyone had any experience with how to back the service up, although when creating this post, I got a suggested topic…..which is only 6 days old and yet I missed it!

But protecting 50TB of data is pretty expensive when using NAS backups, and for archive data that rarely access, so I’m thinking deploy the Veeam Agent for Windows on the server and backup up that volume that way…..though it would need to be tested of course.

Still, would love to see what y’all think about it?

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have got it installed and configured but have not had the change to play.  Seems very straightforward though - just copy files to the folder you configure locally and it uploads to Wasabi for you in your NAS account.  I am just going to trial it as the costs are pretty steep for this one.  I have a normal Wasabi account that I use anyway.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I have got it installed and configured but have not had the change to play.  Seems very straightforward though - just copy files to the folder you configure locally and it uploads to Wasabi for you in your NAS account.  I am just going to trial it as the costs are pretty steep for this one.  I have a normal Wasabi account that I use anyway.

$7.99/TB/month is a bit more than the object storage, but I think it’s still a sellable product for me.  Right now I’m looking at $7k of disks to increase a clients SAN by about 44TB.  Now those disks would pay themselves off in two years in comparison to Wasabi, but I could save a couple bucks per TB and buy CloudBerry Drive (or something similar), but here’s the kicker...the client is using a not quite 3 year old Compellent array that has 4 years of support left on it and has 34 empty 3.5” drive bays.  Dell end of sale’d the Compellent line, so while I can get disks now, there’s not a guarantee that I can get them 2 or 3 years from now, at least from Dell (waiting to hear back from our rep on that).  So down the road, if I can’t get disks, it may be cheaper to offload some of that data from the SAN to the cloud.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Maybe don’t look at Azure Files then!

In all seriousness, for archive data, does it need to be on a compellent? Seems like an appropriate time to introduce a cheaper storage tier such as a Synology if the access will be infrequent

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

$7.99/TB/month is a bit more than the object storage, but I think it’s still a sellable product for me.  Right now I’m looking at $7k of disks to increase a clients SAN by about 44TB.  Now those disks would pay themselves off in two years in comparison to Wasabi, but I could save a couple bucks per TB and buy CloudBerry Drive (or something similar), but here’s the kicker...the client is using a not quite 3 year old Compellent array that has 4 years of support left on it and has 34 empty 3.5” drive bays.  Dell end of sale’d the Compellent line, so while I can get disks now, there’s not a guarantee that I can get them 2 or 3 years from now, at least from Dell (waiting to hear back from our rep on that).  So down the road, if I can’t get disks, it may be cheaper to offload some of that data from the SAN to the cloud.  

Yes $7.99/TB/Month is fine but the minimum is 10TB for this service so you are looking at $79.90 per month. 😯

Too rich for me with that one. 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Also for context, check out the attached. Threw together a Dell PowerEdge R7515

16 core AMD

32GB RAM

48TB RAID5 with 16TB SAS disks, only 4x bays populated of 12 though so a lot of room to scale or go RAID 6

NBD ProSupport for 3 years, dual power supplies, 10GbE. Heck, even has RAID 1 NVMe for the OS.

The price was £8.4k and that’s for everything barring the OS, this is without any kind of deal-reg or discounts, so it would certainly be a fair amount less.

Cloud isn’t designed to be cheaper, it’s supposed to be easier to manage, but that comes with the cost premium!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

In all seriousness, for archive data, does it need to be on a compellent? Seems like an appropriate time to introduce a cheaper storage tier such as a Synology if the access will be infrequent

Yeah, before we consolidated it all to the Compellent, all data was spread across two Synology’s, one with an expansion unit, two Equallogic PS6500’s and a PS6210E.  It was nice to bring it all together, but the Archive data was somewhat overlooked as some of it was attached to a DC as a RDM, and two of them to another VM.  It was nice to get it all in one place.  The smaller of the two Synology’s was repurposed for a backup repo for one of the archives, but I found out today I’m getting errors about the CPU fan failing.  We’ll see what shakes out as it is.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

It has to be mandatory in the cloud?

Have you think about purchasing a deduplicated storage, like HPE StoreOnce or Quantum?

You can have them as Virtual Appliance or Physical Appliance.

They say that the dedup ratio is up to 20:1  (being realistically 10:1).

So maybe you can fit this 50TB in a 5TB Dedup storage.

Find some Extra info here, Quantum has a Dedup Virtual Appliance Community up to 5TB, (20:1 up to 100TB), so you can give it a shot.

or HPE StoreOnce, this blowed my mind, the HPE StoreOnce in Azure, look.

Br,

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

It has to be mandatory in the cloud?

Have you think about purchasing a deduplicated storage, like HPE StoreOnce or Quantum?

You can have them as Virtual Appliance or Physical Appliance.

They say that the dedup ratio is up to 20:1  (being realistically 10:1).

So maybe you can fit this 50TB in a 5TB Dedup storage.

Find some Extra info here, Quantum has a Dedup Virtual Appliance Community up to 5TB, (20:1 up to 100TB), so you can give it a shot.

or HPE StoreOnce, this blowed my mind, the HPE StoreOnce in Azure, look.

Br,

No, not necessarily.  But it was a question they had.  That said, I forgot about trying a Dedupe appliance...I have a Quantum DXi trial/free edition that I want to try in my lab but haven’t had a chance.  Thank you for that suggestion!

Has anyone managed to get the stub files backed up using Veeam agent? During backup veeam shows that the files are getting backed up but there is no entry in Windows Event Viewer for WasabiCloudNas as in the article.

Upon restoration, all the files are corrupt.

Comment