Solved

#VMCE Pop quiz of the day: 2021-06-17

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Happy Thursday! :lion_face:

I’ll try and post a little pop quiz question each day, hope to hear from many of you. Did you know the answer? Did you look it up in the documentation? Did you try it in a lab? Please share some details along with your answer.

I need to restore some files from one of my virtual servers. I want to do it from my laptop and copy the files to the correct destinations using a local file management tool called Norton Commander :wink: What should I do to be able to locally see and copy the files from my laptop to the destination?

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 17 June 2021, 15:53

View original

23 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Install the Veeam Console to your laptop; go into the Disk section of the Home node of VBR, rt-click the VM and select ‘Restore Guest Files’ > Microsoft Windows. Select the Restore Point wanting to restore from then use the FLR Backup Browser to retrieve the files to your laptop (rt-click files and select ‘Copy to’, then browse to a location on your laptop). Then use Norton Commander (never heard of that tool before) to place the files in their desired destination….I hope :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Install the Veeam Console to your laptop; go into the Disk section of the Home node of VBR, rt-click the VM and select ‘Restore Guest Files’ > Microsoft Windows. Select the Restore Point wanting to restore from then use the FLR Backup Browser to retrieve the files to your laptop (rt-click files and select ‘Copy to’, then browse to a location on your laptop). Then use Norton Commander (never heard of that tool before) to place the files in their desired destination….I hope :)

That sounds about right to me as well. :point_up:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not sure if I get this question correct.

The restore to the backup works as @coolsport00 described.

The copy from the laptop to the virtual server is the complete outside of Veeam. You have to open a SMB or SSH connection to the virtual server and copy with Norton Commander the necessary files via this connection. I have no clue if Norton Commander can use a SMB or SSH connection, but I assume it can :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

First of all, you need to use Veeam B&R Console on your laptop. After that you can do the restore through the “Restore Guest Files” option. Inside the window “backup browser” remember to use the button “copy to” to choose the local path on your laptop. After that you can use any management tool to copy to the final destination.

Obs. 1 : I used my homelab to remember all steps. :grin:

Obs. 2: I have never heard about Norton Commander before. :open_mouth:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I have seen Norton Commander, but this was at MS-DOS times… :sunglasses:

At these ancient times a network connection was very out of scope for a pupil :grin:

Does the Norton Commander still exist?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Copy to does not allow me to browse all files on the VM from my laptop with the local tool Norton Commander… maybe I could click some button to allow this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I feel old now :fearful:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Aha… the last windows version was published in the year 2000…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_Commander

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I feel old now :fearful:

I feel old, too :sunglasses: But we have some golden memories  :relaxed:

And you are younger than me… :weary: so don’t complain :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@haslund  Ah, ok. Looks like the ‘Mount to Console’ button in the Backup Browser. Hovering over it shows it’s functionality:

Is this a new feature for v11? Or maybe with v10?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Copy to does not allow me to browse all files on the VM from my laptop with the local tool Norton Commander… maybe I could click some button to allow this?

Would you use the Open in Explorer button and then use this with Norton Commander to copy your files to the destination (if integrated in to the Windows shell for Explorer)? :grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@haslund  Ah, ok. Looks like the ‘Mount to Console’ button in the Backup Browser. Hovering over it shows it’s functionality:

Actually this looks to be the right answer.  Good one @coolsport00 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Oh, this sound good.

I have never seen this option or used it before. :grin: Always used the copy to and copied then from this machine. Learned again something new...

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Never seen it myself; or, I just overlooked it cuz I never needed it (never used any 3rd party tool; Rasmus is a rebel that way :wink:  )

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

First of all, you need to use Veeam B&R Console on your laptop. After that you can do the restore through the “Restore Guest Files” option. Inside the window “backup browser” remember to use the button “copy to” to choose the local path on your laptop. After that you can use any management tool to copy to the final destination.

Mateus, you are too young to know Norton Commander :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Mateus, you are too young to know Norton Commander :sunglasses:

:joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Nice @coolsport00 , I didn’t know. Nice to detect every day new things, unbelievable.

And yes, Norton Commander is from the old days, I do not know if it still exists.

I know that if Norton is in the name, I don’t like it ;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Thanks! ..and same. Was never a Norton fan. Never heard of, thus never used. ‘Commander’ myself. And, I am (almost) old :wink:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

It’s of course described in the helpcenter : Step 6. Finalize Restore - Veeam Backup Guide for vSphere

It’s recommended to only use it to view file content.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

People already answered, never heard before about norton commander. I’m sure too young, next question about AS400?! @haslund :grin:

Never paid attention of this feature, thanks for the discovery

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

People already answered, never heard before about norton commander. I’m sure too young, next question about AS400?! @haslund :grin:

Never paid attention of this feature, thanks for the discovery

Hey, many AS400 are still productive and they are running on the most modern Power Hardware from IBM in the meantime…. :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@coolsport00 : Great !

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Thanks @Inder !! :)

Comment