Solved

#VMCE Pop quiz of the day: 2021-06-11

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’ll try and post a little pop quiz question each day, hope to hear from many of you. Did you know the answer? Did you look it up in the documentation? Did you try it in a lab? Please share some details along with your answer.

The backup job has been configured with the forever forward incremental backup mode and the full retention has already been achieved. An on-demand sandbox has been started with the Keep application group running feature. What will happen to the on-demand sandbox if it is still running when the backup job starts and completes on the next backup run?

icon

Best answer by dips 11 June 2021, 12:13

View original

15 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Just throwing this out there. I am guessing that the on demand sandbox will be stopped as Veeam will need access to the backup file when the next backup job runs. 

No research here, just from what I remember when utilising SureBackup from a while ago.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Oh, this one I had to lookup :sunglasses:
At least it works as I imagined….

The on demand sandbox will be stopped, because the backup job have to modify the backup files - especially the .vbk file.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I even had to test it! Joe is completely right! SureBackup stops!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I even had to test it! Joe is completely right! SureBackup stops!

Respectively for security reasons:

:joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

+1 it stops 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I knew the sandbox stopped (I think Rasmus and I discussed this or similar a yr or 2 ago), but forgot if there were any warning/info messages it may have displayed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

And, even though this is discussing ODS, it is at its core a Surebackup Job, so the reference to what happens if running when a b/u job needs the files can be found here.

Basically:
In some cases, the SureBackup job schedule may overlap the schedule of the backup job linked to it. The backup file may be locked by the backup job and the SureBackup job will be unable to verify such backup. In this situation, Veeam Backup & Replication will not start the SureBackup job until the corresponding backup job is over.

Not explicitly the same scenario, but the concept is the same...meaning of course the ODS would stop.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes it definitely stops due to backup file access for the backup job. It would only make sense to do so.  Loving these daily quiz questions. 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Great question, I had what I believed would happen, but couldn’t find any documentation specifically referencing this behaviour to back me up.

We know that SureBackup will sit and wait up to a certain amount of time if a backup file is locked, @Michael Melter did a great article a while ago about the job priority listing (V11 - New feature - Prioritize primary backup job - why and how it works | Veeam Community Resource Hub if interested) but I didn’t see where SureBackup fit on the list.

So my default stance was, it would have to yield, but in all honesty, I wasn’t 100% convinced as it could cause impact to a DataLabs workload and it does raise the question of, should it yield?

If this was an exam question I’d have said it would give way to the backup job, shutting down to release the lock on the backup file, based on what I’ve said above, but I’m glad to see some people have tested this as I just learned something new today.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Great question @haslund ! Most of us are using Veeam every day and know the products very well, the most of us are VMCE certified and some of us VMCA certified, so we have to know it very well! But regarding to those questions, it’s nice and good that we have to doublecheck, perhaps having doubts about the correct answer. Afterwards when we are sure about the correct answer we will definitely remember it better than before! Nice, I love those daily questions! A good preparation for our VMCE 2021 exam ;-) !

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thank you all, awesome discussions! Maybe a small follow-up, what if the backup job was starting on the day where it will perform a synthetic full?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thank you all, awesome discussions! Maybe a small follow-up, what if the backup job was starting on the day where it will perform a synthetic full?

Did not test, but I think this will work without ending sandbox. Because no backup-files need to be changed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think this depends on if there have to be deleted some backup files after the synthetic full.

If there have to be deleted some files, the sandbox have to be stopped..

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

It can’t create a synthetic full as it’s a forever forward incremental? :sweat_smile:

But if we say it did create a synthetic full, I would still say that the application group is stopped, when it’s referring to (or locking) a backup file which needs to be read by the synthetic full process.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

So @haslund, what is the right answer to your question? :smile:

I was sure that Synthetic Fulls would stop the application group but in my labs I wasn’t able to reproduce it. Once I was able to get it stopped but I don’t actually know why...

6/21/2021 9:42:59 PM          Stopped by job 'Linux 2' (Backup)

Comment