Question

Veeam file browser hangs

Userlevel 2
  • Not a newbie anymore
  • 2 comments

Hi,

From a backup I want to try and restore a file. We go through the process in Veeam to browse and restore files but when the file browser pop up window appears it never displays any files from the AWS instance. I left it for a long time and it’s not go that much on the instance. 
Any idea why this doesn’t work?

As an aside, we also can’t restore any instances either so wondered if anyone would know of a paid service we are able to use to help check Veeam is set up for our AWS account correctly. I see snapshots but not much use without being able to restore them.

Many thanks,

Bob

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Where are you running the File Restore from?  The VBK server on-premise?  It could depend on the mount server being used and if the VBK server then it needs to mount things local from AWS and could take a fair amount of time.  I have not used the AWS piece as yet but looking to set that up and test.  Will try to get back if no one else responds.

Userlevel 2

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the reply. I’m just running it through the portal.

So I installed Veeam on an instance and set up backups according to the docs.
Then went to https://**instanceIP**/#/protected-data/ec2 and follow the wizard to restore the instance files. 
The pop up then just says: Preparing…

I guess either it doesn’t have the right permissions to do it or takes a long time. I’ll leave it over night and see what I get tomorrow morning.

Thanks again,

bob

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the reply. I’m just running it through the portal.

So I installed Veeam on an instance and set up backups according to the docs.
Then went to https://**instanceIP**/#/protected-data/ec2 and follow the wizard to restore the instance files. 
The pop up then just says: Preparing…

I guess either it doesn’t have the right permissions to do it or takes a long time. I’ll leave it over night and see what I get tomorrow morning.

Thanks again,

bob

Sounds good but yes also validate permissions are correct and anything network/firewall related too to ensure no blocking.

Badge

Hi Bob,

Do you have antivirus on your Veeam server? You might want to check your exclusions as i ran into issues with veeam explorers when testing recovering a mailbox (the explorer would not load properly and stated AAP was not enable on that server).

I had missed the below exclusion, it possibly might help you aswell.

C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Explorers\

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I’m more familiar with Wasabi as a Cloud Storage repo, but looks like an access / permission issue.

Correct me if I’m wrong, did you say that you installed Veeam B&R in a AWS instance to protect your AWS services and data?

I haven’t try that yet, less time and tons of tests pending.

cheers,

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@BobLF 
Any news related to your question?
it would be great uf you solved your issue, to share it here for all of us as a knowledge base.

cheers-

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi BobLF ,

May I suggest you to check all the ports and ensure that they are open. For file level recoveries and for restores that are certain ports. I do not remember it top of my head but it doest need some port for this browsing. I am leaning towards ports 6173 and 2500. I had this issue while the browsing page doesnt populate as it keeps trying to reach the respective server.  For my use-case, this wasnt important and so I always either proactively noted down the required/desired paths and  manually entered it.

Comment