Question

Veeam Error: Failed to call RPC function ‘F wRiteFileEx’

• 17 January 2023
  • 9 comments

I’m using backup and replication v11 backup job of one vm, but I get the errors during this backup job.

Error: Failed to call RPC function ‘Fc wRiteFileEx’

Related to this issue, everyone help advise on this issue?

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Did you check the health of that structure? Any warning/error?

And the end of the error, what’s the full description of that?

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi,

it seems this is a permission issue,check the permission on the following 

1- VMware/ESXi

2- if this is a machine with application-aware,check the user or guest introspection settings.

3- check the permission on Target repository.

4- check Anti-Virus on the machine and perform antivirus-exclusion.

5- check DNS Resoulation as well

Hello Mr marcofabbri,
I hope you are doing well,

For this issue, could you share with me what’s the root issue that occurs while I was running the backup job? 🙏

Hi,

it seems this is a permission issue,check the permission on the following 

1- VMware/ESXi

2- if this is a machine with application-aware,check the user or guest introspection settings.

3- check the permission on Target repository.

4- check Anti-Virus on the machine and perform antivirus-exclusion.

5- check DNS Resoulation as well

Hello Mr ElsayedElmazoun,
After we had followed your suggestions, seems this issue still shows when I try running backup job.
Did you have other solutions' sir? 😥

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hello Mr marcofabbri,
I hope you are doing well,

For this issue, could you share with me what’s the root issue that occurs while I was running the backup job? 🙏

Hi @ks0dane :)

Can you share the full text of that error? (hide sensitive data)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Also check the logs which are here - C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup. There will be a folder with your job name and logs are in there to check for errors.  Also as noted post the actual error in full as the picture is not clear.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I notice file or directory corrupted also in the message check to ensure your backup target is good.  Maybe change the location or clone the job and point to another folder to see if that works.

Hello! I hope you have solved your issue.

I had the same error. Veeam was not finding the .vbx file from the first backup job. Such first backup ran without any issues. And this is how I Fixed it:

My backup Storage runs on Unraid. An I use one SMB Share to store the backups.

SMB shares in unraid have some options you can configure.  Well one of those options says: “Case-sensitive names” and, for that setting, the default selected option was “Force lower”.

So when the backup ran for the first time, unraid changed the Upper case letters from the .vbx file to all in lowercase. And, for the second time that veeam ran, It couldn’t find the “correct” file.

The thing I did was to correct the issue was to change it to “auto” and renamed the .vbx file the same way VEEAM was looking for it.

It seems that veeam is very picky with upercase and lower case.

I hope this helps anyone in the future.

Regards.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hello, hope you already solved your issue. 

I think if your repository is from Windows Server, use the Veeam Backup Validator:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/archive/backup/110/vsphere/backup_validator_validate.html

Comment