Solved

Veeam Capacity Tier azure blob offloading

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi,  I have one VBR Server 11 wherein I have created the SOBR having capacity tier of azure blob.  While creating SOBR I have defined move policy with 0 days.  My retention policy is 7 days with 1 full and 6 incremental.  

My requirement is to move the data onto azure blob automatically as soon as it reaches to performance tier. 

In my case data is not offloading to azure blob and veeam is taking its default counter of every 4 hours with 0bytes of data offloaded to azure.

Can anybody help?

Regards,

Sunny

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 15 April 2022, 11:07

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, move will only offload an inactive chain, as you only have one chain it won’t offload. I suggest using copy mode instead

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You are using move mode, which moves inactive chains only. In your case every eight days after the next full or synthetic full was created and the last chain was closed.

If you want to “move” your backups at once to the capacity tier, use the copy mode.

Edit:
Michael was faster 🙂

Userlevel 3
Badge

@MicoolPaul @JMeixner  Thanks for answering.  So. if I put my retention for 7 days and do an active full on second day, will veeam consider day 1 as an inactive backup and starts counting retentions from active full onwards.

My requirement is to offload backup to azure blob asap.  What would be the best way for it.

Regards,

Sunny

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@MicoolPaul @JMeixner  Thanks for answering.  So. if I put my retention for 7 days and do an active full on second day, will veeam consider day 1 as an inactive backup and starts counting retentions from active full onwards.

My requirement is to offload backup to azure blob asap.  What would be the best way for it.

Regards,

Sunny

Offload ASAP is copy mode, will copy the moment the backup is available, including your active chain. As move deletes the inactive chain, but copy retains it, that’s why move isn’t doing what you want but copy will

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello, 

As fellows Vanguards and Legenda are describing, combining COPY with MOVE is the best option here.

If you want to have the less space possible onprem, I would recommend schedule syntethic backups, on the job, every 2 or 3 days. You need to calculate space for those days anyways.

This will be pretty optimal, as your day to day is in Azure thanks to COPY, and every 3 days, after the job finishes and produce the shyntethic, it will be uploaded with the MOVE as you have 0 days, might take up to 4 hours as the sobr offload is schedule with that frequency.

Give it a try with a small vm and let us know.

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hello, 

As fellows Vanguards and Legenda are describing, combining COPY with MOVE is the best option here.

If you want to have the less space possible onprem, I would recommend schedule syntethic backups, on the job, every 2 or 3 days. You need to calculate space for those days anyways.

This will be pretty optimal, as your day to day is in Azure thanks to COPY, and every 3 days, after the job finishes and produce the shyntethic, it will be uploaded with the MOVE as you have 0 days, might take up to 4 hours as the sobr offload is schedule with that frequency.

Give it a try with a small vm and let us know.

Cheers

More great advice here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I forgot to mention, please leverage ReFS so the synthetic happens quickly, and taking less space and time.

Please keep us informed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I only use Copy mode personally because I tend to have enough space locally to support active and inactive chains both.  However if low on space locally and wanting to lever more space in the cloud for “archival” purposes, then a combined copy and move would be the way to go.  I would not recommend a move-only configuration for what your objects seem to be.

Comment