Solved

Veeam Backup & Replication 11 Community Edition: VMWare Backup Restore

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hello,

I want to ask about something belongs to Veeam Backup & Replication 11 Community Edition

I had a machine with total size 4.3 TB on vCenter and all disks are on vCenter Datastore, I had to restore it yesterday to a specific old backup and hit enter and this deleted all current VM and started to restore from the old backup after that I got a call from the team to stop it (at 1%) and restore to some another old backup but when I was restoring to this one I checked the option Quick Rollback, I know this is not recommended at the current situation but that's what happened.

My question now is it going to finish successfully or it will fail ? actually it's now 36% (1.6 TB / 4.3 TB)

I just want to make sure it will finish with this checked option (quick rollback)

Thanks and Regards,

icon

Best answer by JMeixner 27 May 2022, 10:24

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes I just figured out that after a little bit of starting the job but I did not want to cancel it.

Hopefully the recovery is going well, @JMeixner is right, Quick Rollback won’t do anything if you’ve already deleted the source VM. In the future, for such as large VM, you could look at performing an Instant VM Restore to improve RTO as this will mount from an NFS share presented via Veeam’s vPower technology, and then you could perform a storage migration back to production. Instant VM Recovery has limited I/O vs production storage in nearly all scenarios, but it’s better than no I/O whilst your VM is still recovering!

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi, I would really like to help you, 

Let me see if I get this straight, 

After launching the recovery, you selected (clicked) the Quick Rollback?

In that case, the task was already launched without it, so I guess it won't be done that way.

If you click te option, it will do it the way you selected, Quick Rollback.

have a look to the documentation if is what you needed for:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/incremental_restore.html?ver=110

and do not panic, if you have backup recovery points, and free disk space somewhere, you can run a new restore with the options you need.

If you are in a disaster recovery problem, and your backups are ok, it's just a fact of time for restoration, be patient.

Best of luck and if you need any help, here we are to give you a hand.

cheers.

Hello,

No I checked the Quick Rollback option when restoring and started the process that way

Hi, I would really like to help you, 

Let me see if I get this straight, 

After launching the recovery, you selected (clicked) the Quick Rollback?

In that case, the task was already launched without it, so I guess it won't be done that way.

If you click te option, it will do it the way you selected, Quick Rollback.

have a look to the documentation if is what you needed for:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/incremental_restore.html?ver=110

and do not panic, if you have backup recovery points, and free disk space somewhere, you can run a new restore with the options you need.

If you are in a disaster recovery problem, and your backups are ok, it's just a fact of time for restoration, be patient.

Best of luck and if you need any help, here we are to give you a hand.

cheers.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Yes I just figured out that after a little bit of starting the job but I did not want to cancel it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

After your first restore attempt has already deleted the original VM the quick rollback option will not have any effect, because there is nothing present at the original location. So, a complete restore is needed.

But I think the restore should finish successfully with this option enabled….

Comment