VBR Console Tip - CTRL+C

• 23 September 2022
  • 5 comments

I am a keyboard junkie - use keystrokes rather than reach for the mouse if I can.

I love Veeam’s use of the F1 keybind in any dialog window of Veeam Backup Console will bring you to the Helpcenter web page document specific to that dialog.

I was playing around in the Job Session - detail window pane and you can use CTRL+A and then CTRL+C or right click any line or just white space in that pane and Copy to Clipboard.

The resultant line(s) will be available to be pasted as text to your text/word/email application.

Great.

💡 What about in the wider other views of Veeam Backup Console. 🤔

When I have been wanting to show someone overview of Repositories I would screengrab... switch to the view and press WIN+SHIFT+S (brings up Windows Snipping Tool) drag select and then switch to application and press CTRL+V

Maybe screengrab is not best for say something that might later on want to be searchable. Certainly OCR and the like have become more quicker and much easier available. Take Microsoft OneNote… paste an image and right click Copy text from picture - the result is probably not 100% but close.

Back to Repositories view, click focus into that pane and CTRL+A, CTRL+C switch to Notepad and CTRL+V

Try in Backup Jobs, Tapes Media etc...

Neat.

It seems to work quite a lot throughout the interface. Give it a whirl.

Oh another cool keybind WIN+. in any Windows application. 😉

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for sharing this. Always love to learn new shortcuts and tricks for making daily work easier especially keyboard related ones. 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I find the F5 key to be a lifesaver if something isn’t looking right.  I have the bug where my running tasks don’t always clear. Refresh for the win. 

I had a mouse die years back and found you can pretty much do everything without it once you know the commands. I now own a fancy keyboard to bind keys to preform keystrokes I use often. Great for photo/video editing software. 

The F5 key workaround to a ‘problem’ in the console that was ‘introduced’ mid v11 release is a pain.

I hope its fixed in v12.

Oh, once you have copied the selected content to clipboard… switch to Excel. New Workbook

CTRL+V

CTRL+T

Boom. 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

That's really useful, especially in the job overview. Each copied line contains the timestamp including the date, which is missing in the GUI.

That's really useful, especially in the job overview. Each copied line contains the timestamp including the date, which is missing in the GUI.

In the job overview it’s not missing. It’s not displayed by default. Just right click column and turn it on. 

see my post in this tip

Timestamp column was introduced in v11

Comment