Solved

tag management job

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello,

I would like to know how do you manage your job and associated TAG when you build Veeam for customer ?

I would like to use 1 job for 200 VM and within these 200 VM I have some with oracle, some with Exchange, some with SQL, …

How would you do for it ? 

I think about different categoriies (rpo / application type / log processing)

rpo : 24/48/…

application type : exchange, sql, oracle,…

log processing : copy , truncate, truncate 15m, truncate 30m,…

And use tag combination on my job with all the possibilities :

24 + exchange + truncate

24 + sql + truncate 15m

24 + oracle + truncate 30m

24 + oracle + truncate 15m 

What do you think about it ?

Is it better to have 1 job for SQL ? 1 for Oracle ?

I would like to know how do you do for big customer :) 

I have some with 200/300/500VMs and I would like to avoid to manually specify each VM on AAIP and the process associated

icon

Best answer by JMeixner 9 December 2021, 15:34

View original

13 comments

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi,

at least for the RPOs you’ll need different jobs to run on different schedules.

For the applications you could create a single job covering all the VMs and then just specify within the application processing details a different configuration per tag.

So example:

1 Job:

• VM selection for the job: RPO 24h + SQL Tags and RPO 24h + Oracle Tags (So all VMs with RPO 24h, SQL and Oracle will be in the job).
  • In the guest processing section you need to specify settings for the tags SQL + Logs 15m and SQL + Logs 30m tags, Oracle + 15m, Oracle + 30m, etc...

You can also create more granular top-jobs, like SQL-24h and then just differ on the different log schedules in the guest processing section. 

IMHO I’d create single jobs for similar VMs, so if you have some SQL, create a single job for only your SQL machines, one for your Oracles - with the tags this is a one time effort and machines will be added automatically.

Don’t forget to set your credentials based on the tags, too - unless you’re using the same credentials everywhere … and if you use single per server, then you’ll have to specify them per server anyways (use automation then).

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I would define different jobs for sql and oracle.

I am in the process to introduce a tag structure on our customers clusters and the considerations are similar to yours. The tags are planned to be associated to the VMs by a automation solution like Ansible or Terraform when the VMs are created.

The amount of VMs per job depends on the performance of your environment. I am thinking about introducing some sort of numbered tags after a certain amount of associated VMs - e.g. sql1, sql2….

What I have seen so far is:

• Jobs where no VMs are selected with the associated tag combination give a warning at runtime. So, I am thinking about writing a script which checks the tag combinations for “empty” jobs and disables them for this day.
  • It is necessary to do a rescan in Veeam before the changes on the vCenter are seen in the Veeam console. This could do the script, too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

And I am looking forward to V12. With this version the creation of tag combination jobs should be possible with a powershell script… :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

As noted by @JMeixner separate SQL and Oracle jobs. Also when it comes to tags that is a great way to create jobs. I set up tags in vCenter first using PowerCLI and then they are there for my jobs.

I typically created a root object like Backup and then you can create tags within here.  I have never gone beyond the one level but would be interesting to try.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

What you mean is :

1 job exchange

1 job ad

1 job file server

1 job oracle

1 job sql

1 job sharepoint

1 job windows

1 job linux

Am I right ?

Of course, if you have different RPO for your windows you need several job. Same for other job types.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

What you mean is :

1 job exchange

1 job ad

1 job file server

1 job oracle

1 job sql

1 job sharepoint

1 job windows

1 job linux

Am I right ?

Of course, if you have different RPO for your windows you need several job. Same for other job types.

Yes you typically group jobs like this or by application type.  You may have some that need Application Aware processing and some that don’t.  Some need different SLAs and RTO/RPO.  It comes down to planning and scoping everything you need.  No one size fits all works as they say. :smiley:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What you mean is :

1 job exchange

1 job ad

1 job file server

1 job oracle

1 job sql

1 job sharepoint

1 job windows

1 job linux

Am I right ?

Yes, one job per group with different RPO or credentials.

Personally I prefer to have more jobs and have some structure...

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

OK and then for scheduling, I know chained job is evil. 

Do you execute all the job to the same hour and the VM are processing when proxy / repository are available right ? 

I have lot of customer with only 24H RPO and I would like to use as simplest as possible. If I need to do 10 jobs I will :)

I know these are probably “newbies” questions but there are not a lot of real exemple in documentation. There are lot of explanation about how each component work but when I need to implement the solution, it’s often “it depends” and there are no real exemples

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I set the start time of my jobs to different hours during the backup window to get some basic distribution of the jobs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I set the start time of my jobs to different hours during the backup window to get some basic distribution of the jobs.

Agree with this and a good rule of thumb is to start the biggest jobs or ones that will take longer first and leave the smaller jobs to later.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Thanks you for all of your answer :) 

I will apply it from my next installation

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

And I am looking forward to V12. With this version the creation of tag combination jobs should be possible with a powershell script… :sunglasses:

@JMeixner  I did not try it, but isn’t this available in v11a:

https://forums.veeam.com/powershell-f26/how-to-add-tag-combionations-to-a-backup-job-t76076.html#p437769

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I was not aware if it.

My last question about this was answered with “we include this in the next major version”. So, I thought this would be V12.

I will try it…. :sunglasses:

Comment