Suggestion: Veeam Training Focus on Cloud

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi,

since Veeam is offering more cloud features, it would be great to get an new training with a focus on all the cloud features. AWS, AZURE etc. DR/AWS

So as add on to the VMCE Veeam Cloud Certified Engineer :-)

12 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Hartmut, thank you for taking the time to explain your idea. Let me ask a few questions so we can better capture your feedback:

1. Would you be willing to pay for this training? (expect $1000 USD/day)
  2. How many days of training would you expect?
  3. Would you expect this to be live instructor-led training or on-demand videos?
  4. Would you expect hands-on lab exercises for all the different public cloud vendors?
  5. Would you expect a certification exam at Pearson VUE?
  6. Which learning objectives would you have, meaning what should someone be able to explain or do when they exit the training?
Userlevel 5
Badge

Thank you for your reply

1. Would you be willing to pay for this training? // yes 
  2. How many days of training would you expect? // similar to the advanced training. high level starting - so no beginner vmce recommended. 3 Days might be ok.
  3. Would you expect this to be live instructor-led training or on-demand videos? live instructore led would be great. It should cover cloud parts. IAM EC2, VPC for AWS example. 
  4. Would you expect hands-on lab exercises for all the different public cloud vendors? yes. I guess this would be helpful. Workstream could be, recovery backup from s3 to ec2 instance. Connecting to ec2  through other VPC/ Private Cloud. It should cover usecases for DR, Offloading, Archiveing, VMConAWS/Azure etc. 
  5. Would you expect a certification exam at Pearson VUE? → Yes this would be nice, but for me not needed. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

OK, I don’t know how much of the cloud functionalities are included in the VMCA course, but I think a “Specialities” exam for cloud and Veeam would be great...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I do think it would be nice to have a specialty portion of the VMCE dedicated to VCSPs for sure.  To me it would need to cover the specifics for Veeam Cloud Connect like -

WAN Accelerators - when and when not to use them

Cloud Gateways & Pools

Tenants - Setting them up, details, etc.

Replica Resources

Tweaks, tips, tricks, etc. for MSPs

Basically things that appear under the Cloud Connect tab when you install the license for it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

It would probably make sense to outsource it in a separate course, but as each cloud varies with their feature sets and Veeam integration I think it will be hard to create a single course for all vendors.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I think it also needs to VMCE on-demand course. i my county there have no training center for VMCE.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I think it also needs to VMCE on-demand course. i my county there have no training center for VMCE.

This is a bit off-topic, let’s continue the conversation in the topic you already started here: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thank you for your reply

2. How many days of training would you expect? // similar to the advanced training. high level starting - so no beginner vmce recommended. 3 Days might be ok.
  3. Would you expect this to be live instructor-led training or on-demand videos? live instructore led would be great. It should cover cloud parts. IAM EC2, VPC for AWS example. 
  4. Would you expect hands-on lab exercises for all the different public cloud vendors? yes. I guess this would be helpful. Workstream could be, recovery backup from s3 to ec2 instance. Connecting to ec2  through other VPC/ Private Cloud. It should cover usecases for DR, Offloading, Archiveing, VMConAWS/Azure etc. 
  5. Would you expect a certification exam at Pearson VUE? → Yes this would be nice, but for me not needed. 

Could you please include a reply for #6 about the learning objectives too? Thank you in advance

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

It would probably make sense to outsource it in a separate course, but as each cloud varies with their feature sets and Veeam integration I think it will be hard to create a single course for all vendors.

Of course, it would be possible, however, the real question is are customers interested in paying for a 3-day long class about 3-4 different public cloud vendors out of which they use one?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thank you for your reply

Could you please include a reply for #6 about the learning objectives too? Thank you in advance

Oh sorry, I have overseeing nr. 6

„Which learning objectives would you have, meaning what should someone be able to explain or do when they exit the training?“  People are able to connect Veeam probably and safe to public clouds. They can use basic cloud features in some public clouds to offload, archive or recover Backups and connect to restores.

I have the same task on my company at this time, so these objectives are what I figured out for myself. So maybe there will be more potential to use these features. It’s a win for VMCE and Veeam if more engineers are able to use all these really cool features. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Of course, it would be possible, however, the real question is are customers interested in paying for a 3-day long class about 3-4 different public cloud vendors out of which they use one?

Actually I would say that a basic cover of the 3-4 biggest clouds would be ok. The basic Veeam features are on the clouds the same, with some differents do to limitation of the cloud vendors. 

The basics to get Veeam backups offloaded, recovered, server enrolled are on most clouds similar. VPC, Network, Security, IAM settings focus on Veeam usecase. In my opinion it should not replace an AWS or Azure certified Course. 

We already use multicloud. O365, AWS, VMConAWS … . The one for MS Advantages the other for features. … Some Veeam Cloud features are working only on AWS 

Thx to all for this great discussion. 

Greetings 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I second Chris Childerhose’s comment. It would really help to have a special VMCE for Service Providers. Especially focusing on problem solving tenant issues. I think there would be big reduction in support tickets from VSP’s if that happened. I also believe service providers would be more than willing to pay for this.

Comment