Solved

SCVMM

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi,

I will change my vm’s hosting to use SCVMM.

I don’t find page which explain the advantages to have SCVMM with veeam.

I understand we have tags and, but I’m not sure, a live migration of a VM don’t affect backup chain.

Is not it ?
What is the bests practices to configure relationship between Veeam and SCVMM ?

Sorry for my english.

Have a good day !

icon

Best answer by haslund 3 November 2020, 09:01

View original

14 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Erwan RIGOOLLOT! I assume you are running on Hyper-V currently. Please note, when you migrate to SCVMM you will, as far as I know, need to re-add your VMs to the jobs and this will most likely cause a new full for all of them and the retention to reset. You will also need to install the SCVMM console on the backup server (make sure you can actually connect to SCVMM using the console as a test).

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @haslund 

Thanks for your answer.

Yes I have running Hyper-V but I will change all servers backups (console and repository). I change all because I don’t have SOBR, not formated with ReFS 64K etc …

After that, with new servers, news tasks and news backups chains. If I add all Hyper-V to veeam coonsole through SCVMM. I could move VM without reconfigure backup job and not do new full ?

Thanks,

PS: I have make a mistake when I create my account on this forum. How can I change my name ?

My name is Erwan RIGOLLOT not RIGOOLLOT … I do it too fast ...

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi and Welcome @Erwan RIGOLLOT!

I just updated your name :relaxed:

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi and thanks @Kseniya !

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @haslund 

After that, with new servers, news tasks, and news backups chains. If I add all Hyper-V to the Veeam console through SCVMM. I could move VM without reconfiguring the backup jobs and not do a new full?

Sorry, but your reply is a bit unclear so to avoid giving a poor answer I will try to state my understanding of your situation and then a reply. Please do correct me if my assumption is incorrect.

It sounds like you plan to set up new servers and install everything Veeam from scratch and you are OK to make new backups. If this is the case, you will face no issues with the setup. Make sure you connect Veeam to SCVMM and don’t add the individual hosts or failover clusters during this step:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Oh, and another important item: Don’t forget the SCVMM admin UI/console must be installed on the Veeam Backup Server. Open it and confirm you can connect using the SCVMM admin UI to the SCVMM server. User guide link for reference: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/hv_server_before_begin.html?ver=100

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @haslund 

Sorry for my English. That's exactly what I want to do, thank you.

I will do what you explain.

After, when I will use SCVMM with Veeam. Could I move VM between host without change backup job and will not cause new full ?

With this new setup, I would like be able to move VM without worring about backups.

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

After, when I will use SCVMM with Veeam. Could I move VM between host without change backup job and will not cause new full ?

With this new setup, I would like be able to move VM without worring about backups.

I assume you will add all your Hyper-V hosts in a cluster inside SCVMM and then use the SCVMM live migration feature to move VMs between hosts. If yes, then no problem this is fully supported and you will not be required to make new full backups when migrating the virtual machines between hosts.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks @haslund .

Scvmm is not enough ? 

it is necessary that the hosts be added as a cluster?

And yes, I would like using live migration.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Are you looking to use standalone hosts with local storage? or will it be shared storage?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

The issue normally is that virtual machines are tracked by their unique IDs and migrating VMs within a cluster allows preserving those ids. However, registering a VM on a standalone host assigns a new ID to it.

When adding the hosts to SCVMM and adding SCVMM to Veeam it will work with the migrations even if it is standalone hosts.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@haslund Thanks a lot.

I will use local storage.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi all,

I just installed SCVMM and connected it to a new Veeam console.

Anyone know how to create and assign tags to VMs in SCVMM?

Regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I just installed SCVMM and connected it to a new Veeam console.

Anyone know how to create and assign tags to VMs in SCVMM?

You can assign tags on the VM shortcut menu in SCVMM, in its Properties.

Comment