Solved

RMAN plugin

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Do you use the VEEAM RMAN Pluin in your environments?

What are your experiences with it?

Do you have one or more than one Oracle database instances on a system?

icon

Best answer by randyweis 5 April 2021, 15:14

View original

32 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Two more points (this might go on all day...)

1. Dedicate the repository to Oracle RMAN in large environments. Don’t mix in VM workloads. This is both a resource issue and a configuration issue. See the point below.
  2. If targeting a SOBR, use the Performance Data Locality policy, so load balancing is based on available compute resources (cores). Note that this means that any Oracle database and redo log backups will likely be spread across extents. This setting works for plug-in backups since there is no Full and Incremental backup from Veeam’s perspective.

Thanks this is very good information and explains some issues that I have seen. So I take it separating the rman backups looks to be pretty essential. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Correct...and an edit is needed! Use Performance Policy (as opposed to Data Locality Policy), not Performance Data Locality Policy. 🤦‍♂️

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I think RMAN is enough for backup. anyway I will try it in my lab and update you according 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

i will add my 2 cents , instant recovery is only available for oracle with application aware processing.

Oracle RAC can’t use the application aware processing, you have to deal with rman plugins.

Currently fighting with Oracle explorer to work properly with rman. It’s ok with rman command. I’m working on this with my dba colleague. I think i will open a ticket to the support later with more informations.

Backuping Oracle Node jobs:

•  entire computer for the cluster, the acfs is not processing by default
  • ACFS with one node on file level without snapshot
Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hello guys,

what is your restoration strategy with rman on rac cluster? Are you using Oracle explorer or only rman cli?

I’m struggling to use the Oracle Explorer with rman, unfortunetaly explorer doesn’t seem able to write on asm group. I opened a ticket on support, we will see.

Obviously ASM is not seen by OS only by app.

ASM path is correctly shown in metadata backup.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As far as I know is RAC not supported by the Veeam Explorer for Oracle.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

As far as I know is RAC not supported by the Veeam Explorer for Oracle.

It works, it was a problem the account selected didn’t have SYSASM priveleges.

Now everything is working great.

Comment