Return expired tapesto free state

• 17 December 2020
  • 6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I have a suggestion/issue for/with the VEEAM tape handling…

In the definition of a tape pool you can select that tapes from free state are transferred to this pool if required.

But when tapes expire in a type pool, then the tapes keep in this tape pool in expired state and are not returned to free state.

In the worst case the expired tape accumulate in this pool when there a less tapes needed as before. So the tapes in free state decreases continually and you have to manually transfer the expired tapes in the pools to free state.

I think it would be useful when VEEAM does this by itself. Thenn all tape pools can get free tapes and all free tapes are shown in the correct state...

What do you think?

6 comments

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thanks for Bringing this limitation to light. I wasn’t aware this was an issue as our monthly backups are recycled annually. 

Userlevel 4

Learning about tape backups are on my list of 2021 goals.  Thanks for posting this it’ll be something I review when reviewing tape backups

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Joe, are you suggesting that there are tapes in a media pool that are expired but not being overwritten when the same media pool runs out of free tapes?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi Rasmus,
no, I suggest to returm tapes to free state when they expire.

Now VEEM keeps the tapes in the actual pool in expired state. Other Tape pools cannot add them when they need additional tapes….

At least in my environments tapes are not rewritten at once after expiring. So if they are returned to free all Tape pools can access them and add them if needed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi Rasmus,
no, I suggest to returm tapes to free state when they expire.

Now VEEM keeps the tapes in the actual pool in expired state. Other Tape pools cannot add them when they need additional tapes….

At least in my environments tapes are not rewritten at once after expiring. So if they are returned to free all Tape pools can access them and add them if needed.

@JMeixner it could be, I mix something up, but I think this will come in v11. Or at least something in this direction.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hehe, this would be nice.

I am geting more and more anxious about V11. Can’t wait to get it….

Comment