Question

Restoring the VM Veeam is running on?

Userlevel 2

Got a weird situation I’m not sure of the right approach.  This setup is new to me and has some issues which I fully acknowledge and will be seeking to rectify. 

I have a restore request to recover the server VM that Veeam B&R is installed on.  It’s a shared application server running on Hyper-V and one of the other applications has become corrupted and the system will have to be rolled back. 

My plan was to take a configuration backup of Veeam so I could recover Veeam to the current state after the server itself has been rolled back.  The repository is on separate storage so won’t be overwritten by the restore. 

What I can’t quite figure out is whether or not Veeam is going to be able to instigate a restoration of the machine the B&R server itself is actually running on.  Can it do that or will I have to install a second copy of Veeam on another server and import the backup before restoring it? 

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I think there are a couple of options:

• Use the Extract Utility to extract the vmdk from the backup
  • Install the Community Edition of VBR, import your datastore and recover from there
  • Setup a new VBR server, restore the configuration backup and use that from now on.
Userlevel 2

I’m going to do the third one. 

I’ve discovered a spare Hyper-V host that’s only hosting replica VMs which are turned off.  So it’s doing nothing and as it’s a recovery / standby server it’s actually the ideal place to put the Veeam console. 

After that I can perform my restoration! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yeah....agree with @mkevenaar here, & your initial thought, of just restoring Veeam to another VM then going from there. It's just cleaner that way. If you did have another Host already up & going, you could possibly do a full VM restore to a new location, & restore it workout powering it up so you wouldn't run into network conflicts. But again, you really need to separate VBR off so is wise to go the new VBR VM route. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I agree with new server and config backup.  Especially if it is recent. There is less chance for unexpected results. 

Going forward I recommend Veeam on it’s own server and your config backup to a different location. I script mine to copy it a few places. In the event of ransomware or something very bad, all you need is your air gapped backups and config file to at begin. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Definitely recommend building a new server and restoring the config database to it.  Make sure your config database backups are encrypted and you have the encryption key.  By having it encrypted, it’ll save your passwords for your infrastructure, encrypted repository, etc.  If you don’t have it encrypted, you’ll need to supply all of the passwords after you restore the configuration database.

Userlevel 2

yeah, I built a new server.  Something which upset me a bit is the way Veeam have yanked the rug on SQL Express.  I don’t require Postgre advantages and my existing server is SQL so would have required a conversion.  

So during the installation I changed the DB setting to SQL but that then created a problem whereby the Veeam installation no longer automates the installation of SQL Express.  So I had to do a manual installation and had to choose which components to install.  Then I had to set the security access to the DB and create a DB name.  All by myself! 

So when I tried to run the Veeam installation again I got a problem with the SYSTEM user not being allowed to create a database on the SQL Express server. 

Not really being an SQL expert I was relying on internet forum articles to find out how to allow the SYSTEM user to create a DB.  Most of these articles say install SQL Management Studio.  So I had to install a great big bit of bloaty software to set a configuration setting which would have been scripted in the Veeam installation originally. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I saw your post on R&D forums and I believe this is a valid worry for reinstalls, hopefully the installer evolves to incorporate this functionality 🙂

Comment