Solved

Regarding Veeam Backup for M365 and Azure VMs

Userlevel 3

Hello Team, 

I am working on a project where customer would like to backup their M365 data (mailbox, onedrive, sharepoint etc.) using Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 and also backup Azure VMs using Veeam Backup & Replication. 

I see Azure has both these available in the market place. So if I use them and deploy them directly on Azure Subscription it is good enough right? Or should I need any other instance of Veeam Backup and Replication or Veeam Backup for M365 in on-premise infra or Azure VM etc.?

Cause I saw this video - Here I see the Veeam is installed else where and we are trying to connect to cloud appliance. So I am confused

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 7 April 2022, 18:40

View original

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thank you Chris & Micool for amazing response. Appreciate it. Now I am clear. 

Happy to help! Drop any further questions in here and if not, if there’s a particular answer that helped you best, please mark it as the answer to help future travellers finding this page 🙂

Userlevel 3

Thank you Chris & Micool for amazing response. Appreciate it. Now I am clear. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi!

If you don’t need a particular feature of Veeam Backup & Replication, I’d suggest you look at Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure instead.

I say this purely because I consider VBfMA more “evergreen” in that additional Azure native protection features are added to this product instead of into VBR.

With VBR you’d be limited to deploying Veeam Agents to your VMs and currently you’d have to provision traditional VM disks to store your backup (VBR/Veeam Agent can’t backup to object storage directly, YET!), whereas VBfMA can backup directly to object storage, it can also handle snapshotting your VMs in addition to backups.

In either scenario I recommend you create a separate tenant for your Veeam backup platform vs the production/workload Azure environment, it’s better for isolation, I’d also go one step further and use a separate billing method for this too, so if you have a billing issue that takes all your VMs offline, you could recover them to your isolated tenant for a DR as one example. Primarily however it’s to ensure a compromise of your production Azure tenant, doesn’t bring the recoverability of your backups into question.

As for Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365, yep that’s fully supported, I’m paranoid and would recommend having a backup of M365 data outside of Microsoft as there was a lot of talk a decade ago about Microsoft utilising Azure for some of the M365 services, but there’s no real detail on overlap, at least I’d want to use a separate geo-location!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The video explains how to connect to the Azure appliance if you want to be able to manage the backups from your on-site Veeam server but that is not a requirement.  You can still manage things from within Azure directly once you deploy the appliances.

Comment