Solved

Question about copyjob functionality

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi, everyone!

I have a quick question about coypjob intervals. If I have my copyjob set to 1 day starting at 4am, does that mean that the copy starts at 4am and runs until 4am the next day and then just starts over? I am seeing some warnings about things not being copied over in the copy interval. I’m a little confused on how this works. How can I make the copy interval longer?

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 25 June 2021, 16:09

View original

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Glad to help out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

“If I default my copyjobs to 7 or 8 days and leave them that way, will it hurt anything?”

You probably don’t need to. I think you can find the answer to your question from the Interval link I provided above. It states what happens if your Copy doesn’t complete in the configured Interval time.

I’ll check them out. Thank you so much for your answers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Ok, so then that’s a little different. I assume you probably have the needed chain already copied over. But, if you’re running occasional Active Fulls for GFS retention options (wkly, mthly, yrly), then even if the Interval isn’t long enough to complete the Full being copied over, the Interval will automatically be extended until it completes (see description here). Other Copy runs should be Increments...and they should be able (hopefully) to get copied over in a day’s time.

I made the change to the job and I made it 10 days. I told it no when it asked me if I wanted to restart the job. I don’t want to interrupt what’s already happening.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

“If I default my copyjobs to 7 or 8 days and leave them that way, will it hurt anything?”

You probably don’t need to. I think you can find the answer to your question from the Interval link I provided above. It states what happens if your Copy doesn’t complete in the configured Interval time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

But, you could have an issue copying the full chain of the source backup job you’re referencing. For example, if the source backup job chain you’re copying from is a week long, you would need to expand your interval to 7 or 8 days, or otherwise your interval setting would be out of scope. After your source full chain has been copied, you can set the interval to a lesser period...for example, 1 day. And this is assuming your source backup job runs at least daily. This would ensure you get the most current data from your source job. Let me know if you have further questions...and yes, it is indeed a bit confusing. I’m actually doing a series of posts here on the Community Hub regarding Copy Jobs :)

For more info on how Intervals work, review the User Guide here. And, if you wanna read my posts, you can start here.

Cheers!

Definitely check this links out.  Copy interval can be tricky and sometimes you need to increase if from the default 1 to 2 or more.  I have seen this in our jobs as they need more time to complete.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Ok, so then that’s a little different. I assume you probably have the needed chain already copied over. But, if you’re running occasional Active Fulls for GFS retention options (wkly, mthly, yrly), then even if the Interval isn’t long enough to complete the Full being copied over, the Interval will automatically be extended until it completes (see description here). Other Copy runs should be Increments...and they should be able (hopefully) to get copied over in a day’s time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

But, you could have an issue copying the full chain of the source backup job you’re referencing. For example, if the source backup job chain you’re copying from is a week long, you would need to expand your interval to 7 or 8 days, or otherwise your interval setting would be out of scope. After your source full chain has been copied, you can set the interval to a lesser period...for example, 1 day. And this is assuming your source backup job runs at least daily. This would ensure you get the most current data from your source job. Let me know if you have further questions...and yes, it is indeed a bit confusing. I’m actually doing a series of posts here on the Community Hub regarding Copy Jobs :)

For more info on how Intervals work, review the User Guide here. And, if you wanna read my posts, you can start here.

Cheers!

If I default my copyjobs to 7 or 8 days and leave them that way, will it hurt anything?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @bp4JC ..yes, that is correct. Is this a new Copy Job?

It’s one that we’ve had running for a while. We have a new server in place and I am running into issues getting the full copied over. I guess at this point it will be an incremental and the needed blocks. If it goes from 4 to 4, what causes the copy interval expiration issues? Wouldn’t it just keep going?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @bp4JC ..yes, that is correct. Is this a new Copy Job?

Comment