Solved

Physical to Physical Restore

• 10 November 2021
  • 9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

i have on going PoC for Veeam VBR. customer want to take a Physical Machine back up(Dell Server) and want to restore it in another physical server(HPE server). is it possible or not.

icon

Best answer by Mildur 10 November 2021, 16:27

View original

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Yes, it’s possible. It’s called Bare Metal Recovery. There is a chance, that you need to load specific drivers (for storage and network) in the recovery media todo the restore:

And there can be some driver issue after booting up the os after the restore.

You need to clean up the old drivers after restore and be ready to install new drivers if necessary for the HPE Server.

Perform Bare Metal Recovery - Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Guide

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes, it’s possible. It’s called Bare Metal Recovery. There is a chance, that you need to load specific drivers (for storage and network) in the recovery media todo the restore:

You need to clean up the old drivers after restore and be ready to install new drivers if necessary for the HPE Server.

Another case closed for Detective @Mildur ! :spy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Server RUN Oracle Linux 7.5 with UEFI mode.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Regardless, it is possible!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Linux is possible too. But i expect much more issues with the new hardware as with windows. I’m not a linux expert. 

Me and a colleagues of mine has done some restore testing on a xenserver vm.

Backup done from XenServer VM. Restore done to a VmWare VM with the recovery media. It has worked. But physical machine could be a different story.

Restoring Volumes - Veeam Agent for Linux User Guide

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Linux is possible too. But i expect much more issues with the new hardware as with windows. I’m not a linux expert. 

Me and a colleagues of mine has done some restore testing on a xenserver vm.

Backup done from XenServer VM. Restore done to a VmWare VM with the recovery media. It has worked. But physical machine could be a different story.

Restoring Volumes - Veeam Agent for Linux User Guide

yes, physical is different story. let try ………..

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@Shaokat you will got SURELY error on activation license of Windows and others software… different hardware, licenses usually goes down.

@Mildur impeccable as always.

EDIT. sorry, read later you talking about linux.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Let us now if it works :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Let us now if it works :-)

i will try it tomorrow in customer end. let see what happen 

Comment