Solved

Oracle Rman query

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey Guys, I have a scenario.

So my customer environment was taking oracle backups to tape without using Veeam. Now they want to initiate RMAN backup using Veeam. After installing plug-in the configuration settings gets updated in oracle but they also want existing backup jobs to the tape to continue after veeam plug-in install. Is there a solution to this?  

icon

Best answer by MattM 15 June 2022, 11:59

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Then you have to keep the statements for the old backup jobs in your RMAN script and add the statements the plugin tells you only.

Then both jobs should be executed. But I think it would make sense to create two RMAN scripts. One for Veeam RMAN jobs and one for the old jobs and schedule both at different times.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Then you have to keep the statements for the old backup jobs in your RMAN script and add the statements the plugin tells you only.

Then both jobs should be executed. But I think it would make sense to create two RMAN scripts. One for Veeam RMAN jobs and one for the old jobs and schedule both at different times.

But the issue is when we install plug-in, the SBT_TAPE library will be updated to Veeam and with that backup to tape will stop. Now I am not an oracle expert which is why I am asking.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

But the issue is when we install plug-in, the SBT_TAPE library will be updated to Veeam and with that backup to tape will stop. Now I am not an oracle expert which is why I am asking.

There is also the option “Export configuration into a file for manual setup”. Use this instead of “Apply configuration to the Oracle environment” after running through the plugin configuration wizard.

Exported Veeam plugin configuration consists of 2 files: veeam_config.xml and rman_config.txt

You can use the contents of the rman_config.txt file to customize your RMAN backup script in order to write to the Veeam repository without setting it as a default, so the original/existing RMAN backup script will still use the existing default target. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, I was looking for an example for this but got distracted… 😎

This would be my solution, too. The SBT_TAPE can be used with different targets.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yes, I was looking for an example for this but got distracted… 😎

This would be my solution, too. The SBT_TAPE can be used with different targets.

are you referring to what @MattM told? If not can you explain how SBT_TAPE can be used with different targets

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I was referring to @MattM ‘s post, yes.

Another solution is to define another device type and to use this with the Plugin or the tape.

Example:

CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE 'SBT_VEEAM' PARMS 'SBT_LIBRARY=/opt/veeam/VeeamPluginforOracleRMAN/libOracleRMANPlugin.so' FORMAT '81b0669b-0e55-4e5d-ae77-b5ca611e8e32/RMAN_%I_%d_%T_%U.vab';

ALLOCATE CHANNEL VeeamAgentChannel1 DEVICE TYPE SBT_VEEAM PARMS 'SBT_LIBRARY=/opt/veeam/VeeamPluginforOracleRMAN/libOracleRMANPlugin.so' FORMAT 'a1ae3ea3-a52f-4f9a-a616-8c1c30a02c7e/RMAN_%I_%d_%T_%U.vab';

The ID in the format parameter (e.g. a1ae3ea3-a52f-4f9a-a616-8c1c30a02c7e) is the UUID of your VEEAM server instance. Please replace this ID with the ID the plugin tells you at configuration.

Comment