NFS datastore on ESXi!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hello everyone!

Just a silly question here. Look for this datastore on my lab environment:

As I remember this datastore is used by Veeam during the Instant VM Recovery process acording with vPower NFS right?

However, in this right moment I don’t have any IR job running.

Is it correct having this datastore mounted on ESXi everytime?

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Yes...it is used for any vPower job (Instant VM or Disk Recovery, etc) & sometimes Veeam does not auto-remove those datastores when those jobs are finished running. You can right-click and simply unmount it and it’ll go away. I’ve actually had it auto-reappear even when no IR jobs were running. Weird, I know.

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hello everyone!

Just a silly question here. Look for this datastore on my lab environment:

As I remember this datastore is used by Veeam during the Instant VM Recovery process acording with vPower NFS right?

However, in this right moment I don’t have any IR job running.

Is it correct having this datastore mounted on ESXi everytime?

Hi Mateus!

As long as you don’t have any SureBackup or recovery tasks on there you’re safe to unmount it. Under that datastore view just click on the VM tab and see the status of any VMs registered with vSphere from that datastore to be safe!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

These datastores are permanently mounted in my environments, too.

I kept them mounted as they did not disturb.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thank you guys! You are awesome..

But I discord with @JMeixner. This datastore name, different from my standards disturbs me.

:joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I never saw Veeam removing these data stores automatically. you can unmount or leave it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@Thomasw Unfortunately this can happen at random; I’ve described it in a different topic here in the community. You can just remove the orphaned vCLS and vCenter will re-deploy them.

vSphere 7.0 Update 3 introduced a new cluster setting, where you can enable/disable datastores for the vCLS deployment. So as soon as VMware makes this (or the successor) update available again, we can finally solve this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

But I discord with @JMeixner. This datastore name, different from my standards disturbs me.

Haha, ok, I accepted them. :sunglasses:

And I never understood why the datastores are not simply removed after the action is completed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

But I discord with @JMeixner. This datastore name, different from my standards disturbs me.

Haha, ok, I accepted them. :sunglasses:

And I never understood why the datastores are not simply removed after the action is completed.

same, sometimes it’s confusing for virtualization team and it’s triggering monitoring alerts

I found the datastore to be troublesome, it was connected not in use when an HA alarm caused HA to start moving vCLS instances, it shoved  2 vCLS instances into the datastore. which was C:\appdata on backup server and then it collapsed, broke, became inaccessible  trapping the 2 vCLS instances in there and breaking HA in our environment. Putting HA in retreat mode can be dangerous but that’s the fix, I really don’t want this to happen again

Any way to make sure when these are created to make them not available to HA operations?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@ThomaswUnfortunately this can happen at random; I’ve described it in a different topic here in the community. You can just remove the orphaned vCLS and vCenter will re-deploy them.

vSphere 7.0 Update 3 introduced a new cluster setting, where you can enable/disable datastores for the vCLS deployment. So as soon as VMware makes this (or the successor) update available again, we can finally solve this.

Agree! Had a customer-problem last week caused by the same issue: vCLS was deployed on one of these NFS volumes. Interestingly just a few files were left of vCLS but SureBackup didn’t work any more. My guess, Veeam couldn’t clean up NFS when vCLS was on. Solution was to manually unmap NFS.

Comment