Solved

Naming convention of the backup objects in the repository

Userlevel 3

Dear Veeam 

I need your help,

1-I would like to know, How Veeam names each file. Exam xxx_Backup_2022-08-18T22018

I refer to the last numbers. 

2- I don't want to change the name of the backup job, I want to be able to edit or change the naming convention of the backup objects in the repository. like YYYY-MM-DD. 

icon

Best answer by Mildur 25 August 2022, 21:43

View original

9 comments

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

FWIW, initially the new naming schema had the random hash salt first and date last, but this broke sorting on basically every OS, so based on feedback, it was switched so sorts work.

If there’s a specific use-case for the salt being logical in some way, don’t hesitate to share it, definitely it will be considered (not necessarily implemented though!). Just need to know how you’re using it is all, as  the reason for checking on the salt isn’t so clear for me immediately, but maybe I’m just not being creative enough.

Userlevel 3

It used to use the date and time in older versions but it wasn’t guaranteed that the file names would be unique at that time.  I too am curious as to your use case for using the date/time in the file names.  Others have asked about this as well but I’m not sure that I’ve seen the use case for it yet.

Thank you so much.

Userlevel 3

From my point of view, the way they are naming the file is not optimal.

It would simply be easier to take the date and time

As I told in my first answer, the random _#### value is added to prevent conflicts between 2 different per-vm backup chains for the same machine. Only Date and Time is ok, but what happens, if two backup files were created at the exactly same second? There could be a mixup.

FK-DC.vm-20398D2022-08-22T200133_F3BA.vib

[VM]D[Date]T[TIME]_[RANDOM-Hex-Value].vib

Thans you! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

As I told in my first answer, the random _#### value is added to prevent conflicts between 2 different per-vm backup chains for the same machine. Only Date and Time is ok, but what happens, if two backup files were created at the exactly same second? There could be a mixup.

A file from my backup repository. 

FK-DC.vm-20398D2022-08-22T200133_F3BA.vib

[VM-Name]D[Date]T[Time]_[RANDOM-Hex-Value].vib

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

It used to use the date and time in older versions but it wasn’t guaranteed that the file names would be unique at that time.  I too am curious as to your use case for using the date/time in the file names.  Others have asked about this as well but I’m not sure that I’ve seen the use case for it yet.

Userlevel 3

I do NOT want to know the algorithm, I just want to know the sequence the file is named with.

Why they take the trouble to add codes that do not indicate anything.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I don‘t think that the algorithm can be shared with the public.

Why is the algorithm important? You can‘t rename the files by yourself, or the chain would be shown as broken in the veeam console.

If you could tell your use case, probably we can find a solution.

Thanks

Fabian

Userlevel 3

Hi Fabian,

Thanks for the answer. 

I understand that it is to avoid conflicts, but what is the sequence? or What algorithm does it take? I ask the question to identify the order.

Margarita

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi

We add this random numbers at the end of the filename to avoid conflicts between per-vm backup files for the same machine. It can not be changed.
You can read more about it in this topic in the R&D Forums:

https://forums.veeam.com/post356401.html#p356401

The R&D forums are also the right place to add a feature request if you are unhappy with this naming scheme.

Thanks

Fabian

Comment