Solved

MS365 Backup - what if MS365 fails. What can we do with the backup files.

I signed up for a 30 days trial for the MS365 backup. I am backing up my Exchange server into a local repository. 

I was wondering if MS365 fails. How do we recover from the files we have in the local repository? In other words is if MS365 one day decided not to function anymore. How do we recover our exchange files from the repository that Veeam back up to?

icon

Best answer by Mildur 13 July 2022, 11:02

View original

1 comment

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Hanz 

You can export the mailboxes as PST Files or and items as MSG Files.
Or restore the mailbox back to a new Mailbox in another location (Exchange OnPremise, Exchange Online).

Or is this about your backup server is failing?

You can install a new windows server, install Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 and add the old backup repository back to the new server. After you have added the connection to your exchange server to the config, you will see the old restore points.

Note:

Don’t use Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 do backup an onpremise Exchange Server. Use Veeam Backup & Replication or our Veeam Agent for Windows Server for that scenario. Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 only protects the data, not the application. You have to reinstall everything from scratch in case you loose your ad and exchange server. 

Thanks

Fabian

Comment