Solved

Monthly License Review - no option to submit

Userlevel 1

Confused on what to do with the monthly license review.  This has started popping up on us in the last few days in the backup program (though we’ve been using Veeam already for months...not sure why it’s deciding to start appearing now)

We rent a license from a 3rd-party provider.  It’s in their name.

I don’t have the “submit” option available when I view the report.  I can only print or save it.  I have a pdf of the file now, but have no clue what to do with it.  Apparently creating the pdf also caused the message to go away every time the program was launched.  Is this all I have to do?  It referenced having to submit it to Veeam, but I have no way of doing that.

As far as I am aware, I do not have any access to the Veeam Cloud to send this to you.  Do I just send this pdf to my 3rd-party provider to submit on my behalf?  If so, will my backup program automatically know when they submit the report so I don’t hit the “must submit by” date?    

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 1 March 2022, 23:56

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Correct you don’t need to do anything but send that report to your 3rd party provider. Veeam bills them for usage and they bill you. This is normally when the 3rd party provides support or manages the infrastructure in some way that this is used.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If you get these messages I assume you are using some kind of hosting licenses.

Your provider can help you with this and he will take action. He provides the licenses to you and he will pay to Veeam and bill you for your license consumption.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@jtrout4002

I‘m a little bit confused that you get this messages.

When your service provider uses his rental licensing for your environment, then you as a customer shouldn't receive this mails or doing anything on the backup server itself. Only doing restore would be a allowed. But the service provider must have the primary management role to the backup server. This means monitoring and managing or updating the jobs and veeam components.

A service provider using the rental license to sell you a working license to manage and monitor your veeam server by yourself would be against the veeam rental licensing policies. 
If you are managing the backup server (creating jobs, adding vms, monitor and repair backup issues) by yourself, then you should ask your service provider, if he is aware of this policies. If you are the primary manager of the veeam server, you must use end user licensing and not rental.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Where exactly are you seeing this report?  Is it a PDF in your email on or on a console or something?  If it’s just a report that’s email, then more than likely it’s being sent to you automatically out of your providers console.  Your provider should be auditing the license/point count and managing the backups.

Also, your service provider should be the primary manger of your Veeam deployment and not you.  You message didn’t really indicate if you’re manging the backups or not, but it kinda sounds like you might be.  The service provider/rental model requires that the service provider is the primary user/manager of your backups.  If you are performing the backup tasks, then you should be utilizing subscription licensing and not rental through a provider.

If you’re Veeam deployment is tied to your providers service provider console for management (if you’re not sure, check the Backup Infrastructure tab in your VBR Console under “Service Providers” and you’ll likely see a connection from your VBR deployment to their console for statistics/recording/etc.  In that case, you shouldn’t have to do anything as they should have those counts already in the service provider console and they will submit those counts to Veeam/their aggregator.  For instance, since we use Arrow for our aggregator, and since today is the first of the month, my console should be uploading data already (as I understand it) and I log into the VCSP Pulse portal, enter my point count for all of my clients, and then submit that report which is then sent to Arrow for processing, and then they pay Veeam.

That’s probably more info that you really needed, but did that answer your questions?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Correct you don’t need to do anything but send that report to your 3rd party provider. Veeam bills them for usage and they bill you. This is normally when the 3rd party provides support or manages the infrastructure in some way that this is used.

I’m confused why he would get anything that needs to be sent to his provider.  Unless it’s just the PDF report sent from the service provider console, but he shouldn’t have to do anything with that, correct?

Comment