LTO roadmap has been extended up to Generation 14

Show first post

39 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

offsite tapes are all well and good ā€¦..but how many people have either a) tested restores or b) actually had to restore in anger, 2-3 years down the line?

Ā 

I have a client that I deployed tape to this summer.Ā  Next week Iā€™m going to be replacing their SAN (and upgraded their NASā€™s that are used as Veeam Repoā€™s), but before we pull out the old SAN, they had this crazy/not so crazy idea to do a full restore of all VMā€™s from the tape to the old SAN to verify all is well.Ā Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Geez...I deployed a Gen7 drive using Gen6 tapes earlier this year.Ā  I donā€™t have clients with anything NEAR gen 14.Ā  My client with the largest dataset is going to be near the 10/11 area, but theyā€™re not needing to do tape.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

sounds like a good blog post in the making @Rick VanoverĀ 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

offsite tapes are all well and good ā€¦..but how many people have either a) tested restores or b) actually had to restore in anger, 2-3 years down the line?

100% Craig. Everyone has a story of tape letting them down.

Sometime I should tell everyone the 5 reasons I hate tape.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Tape will never die.

šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘šŸ¼

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Tape will never die.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, moving from LTO-6 to LTO-9 is the next step at two customers of mine, too šŸ˜

With this their tape libraries are still sufficient and have not to be extended with more frames for a longer time...

Userlevel 4
Badge

Tapes are still (and will be for a long time) a pretty solid solution against some threats.. and nearly the only solution for ā€œreal offsiteā€.
I think the roadmap is more or less ā€œsubject to be changedā€ because LTO9 was also planed with 24TB capacity and now there is a compromise between costs and capacity; this can happenĀ again.

We are now moving to LTO9 (from 6) and I am locking forward to it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Over 1PB per tapeā€¦ thatā€™s absolutely insane! Itā€™s a shame thereā€™s no years stamped against this roadmap, but itā€™s exciting to see the life we still have left in tape! People have well over a decade to keep telling us tape is gonna die, and we have this roadmap to reply with!

People are telling tape is dead for 30 years or more nowā€¦ the same with mainframesā€¦

There will be still usecases for this for a long time.Ā  It's not useful everywhere and not as the only storage without disk and objectā€¦ šŸ˜Ž

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Over 1PB per tapeā€¦ thatā€™s absolutely insane! Itā€™s a shame thereā€™s no years stamped against this roadmap, but itā€™s exciting to see the life we still have left in tape! People have well over a decade to keep telling us tape is gonna die, and we have this roadmap to reply with!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Wow Gen14. Sheesh hope I get the chance to use it before I retire. šŸ¤£

šŸ˜‚ Gen14 will takeā€¦. no idea - 10 - 12 years. It took from 2010 to 2021 from Generation 5 to Generation 9...

Well if it takes 12 I will have 5 years to play with it. šŸ˜œ

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

šŸ˜‚ Gen14 will takeā€¦. no idea - 10 - 12 years. It took from 2010 to 2021 from Generation 5 to Generation 9...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Comment