Large repository inside Veeam VM

• 24 November 2021
  • 6 comments

Userlevel 3
  • Comes here often
  • 9 comments

Hi all,

I have a followup question to

As I described before I’m “forced” (at least for the moment) to put the storage also on the Veeam server itself. Overall there might be the possibibility that there will by ~20-30TB on vib/vkb files.  Can this still be realized within the Veeam VM?

What are the alternatives if all data have to be on one physical server?

BR

Frank

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 24 November 2021, 17:10

View original

6 comments

Of course @marcofabbri we are talking about Veeam, love the product and is very robust, but don’t forget that runs inside an os (windows), and the thing is that Veeam is also running virtualized, I know is very difficult to break Veeam, but isn’t that hard to get a virtual disk corrupted or ever a Hypervisor failure, XD (Hyper V)

Also there is multiple flavours depending on your needs!

There is not a perfect solution, just need to find the one that works better for you!

cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

“so in case that one vmdk or virtual disk fails or get corrupted, you don’t loose everything” and “separate the backup files per vm, so Veeam can handle the information between the repositories more easy”

@HunterLF why? In theory, Veeam should handle all of this easily without any splitting. 

We are talking about Veeam, not other backup suites on the market. :grin:

Hi there, 

I don’t really understand your point of view on this, but maybe I can give you a hand on this.

are you planning to instal a HYPERV server to run just 1 vm as a Veeam B&R server?

does this HYPERV server have the 30TB storage locally?

in this case, I will recommend you to do it, but present to the Veeam server 3 or 4 virtual disks as repositories, and then create a scale out repository with them, so in case that one vmdk or virtual disk fails or get corrupted, you don’t loose everything.

alse very importan, when you backup your vms, separate the backup files per vm, so Veeam can handle the information between the repositories more easy.

hopefylly helps!

kid regards.

Userlevel 3

Hi all,

I have a followup question to

As I described before I’m “forced” (at least for the moment) to put the storage also on the Veeam server itself. Overall there might be the possibibility that there will by ~20-30TB on vib/vkb files.  Can this still be realized within the Veeam VM?

What are the alternatives if all data have to be on one physical server?

BR

Frank

I’ve got an additional question, as I realized that my description wasn’t clear enough probably.

Solution 1:

Hyper-V host with large VMDK file which hosts the Veeam VM (both the logic and the backup files)

Solution 2:

Hyper-V host with normal VMDK file which hosts the Veeam VM (only logic) and additional another share directly on the RAID on the host (Veeam VM needs then access to this share)

Any comments on these two options?

BR

Frank

Should the Hyper-V hosts

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you are able to put the data on a VM as a VMDK file then when you are able split up the server to separate entities then you can move the VMDK file with the repo data to another server.

If you are using a physical box it would be slightly harder to move the data but possible using a SOBR where you add the physical server repo and then a new repo from a VM or other physical box.  Then you can use the maintenance mode and Evacuate backups to move them to the new repo.

Just some thoughts on this and if something else pops in my head I will reply here.  As Marco noted the backup of the Veeam server will run last due to it holding the configuration databases (SQL).

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hello @omfk,

as said in this KB2654

“If the server hosting the Veeam Backup & Replication configuration database is placed in a Backup or Replication job, that job will only run when no other tasks are running. Additionally, that job running will prevent all other tasks from starting until it completes.”

this can be a complication.

Best

Marco

Comment