Solved

Issues of Veeam backup on physical machine

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello everyone,

I Have been learning about veeam products and recently for practice, I  setup a windows server VM  & installed veeam backup & replication in that. I was trying to backup a physical machine and the backup job failed. I feel the reason is  veeam is not able to identify details such as hostname and credentials. I looked various documents related to this but still I am missing out something. I even installed veeam agent on physical machine during initial setup. Can anyone help me out with this?

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 6 August 2021, 09:40

View original

20 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Anandu , can you tell us a bit more about the setup? You deployed the agent using VBR? You have setup the agent job on the physical machine or the VBR server? Have you created the DNS A and PTR record for all components and the physical server?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I didn’t deploy using VBR. I manually installed it on physical machine. I didn’t create those in physical machine 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ignore the “solved”. It was a mistake

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Anandu , I assume you did create an agent job in VBR, adding the individual computer (DNS or IP-address of the physical machine). How was the result of the connection? Do you have an error or so?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I performed a credentials test and it failed which could why the job failed

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Since My VBR is a VM and I am backup a physical machine could it be because of the network issues? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Allright, there we are. Is the physical machine domain-joined? Is the VBR domain-joined? The credentials you are using - do they have local administrator permissions on the  physical machine?

More info : Required Permissions - Veeam Backup Guide for vSphere

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

How can I check that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Being the fact that the VBR is a VM and the one you are backing up is a physical machine should no problem at all.

What do you mean by : how can I check that? That the servers are domain-joined or that the credentials you are using are having local administrator permissions? I suggest to try at first the credentials of the local administrator account of the physical machine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @Anandu 

Let’s go through some network setup/troubleshooting questions:

Are the VM and the physical machine you want to back up within the same network? They don’t need to be on the same subnet (192.168.0.x or 10.0.0.x for example) as long as they can route between them. Veeam won’t like if you put any Network Address Translation (NAT) in the middle (if the VM was behind a firewall on a private IP address, but your physical server has a public IP address for example). I’ve seen people try this before and I just wanted to clarify the point.

Next thing we need to confirm is whether the Veeam server has a static IP address, whilst not strictly required, it’s strongly recommended, if it’s dynamic IP you’ll be relying on DNS to resolve this for you.

Finally, do you have an internal DNS server (via a domain or otherwise), if yes, your devices should have A/CNAME records as @Nico Losschaert has mentioned above, failing this you COULD use the hosts file within Windows to statically create records of the devices.

Hi Anandu. 

The best way to start this is to explain what you have in your test lab, how many machines, infrastructure layout, networking, domain situation and relationships to machines or anything that could influence the interaction between machines. Then state the error you see on backup failure (from the screen) and the point of failure when testing credentials. this will help in a big way.

This will give everyone a good understanding of the foundation you are working on and probably get you a really fast response.

For now I would follow MicoolPaul’s thoughts above.

DNS and authentication are the top reasons people have issues when first learning about Veeam.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

My VBR is not domain joined and I am talking about credentials having local administrator permissions. i read in article which u showed saying that it have permissions in target machine. Should I give the permissions in the target? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@MicoolPaul my VM and physical machine are on the same network(192.168.0.x). Veeam server is given a dynamic IP and and I do have an internal DNS Server

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Anandu , at first I should suggest doing first following 2 things : use the ip-address of the target server, disable the Windows firewall on the target-machine and use the built-in local administrator credentials and try what this gives as a result 

@Anandu Add the name and IP address of the target to the host file on the VBR server, by the way,

• What is the OS of the target physical?
  • Can you ping by name or IP address to the other server?
  • You mentioned the backup failed, what was the error please (in the VBR console)?
  • When you did a credentials check did you use the local admin account on the target Physical, did you use host\user or just user?
Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@Blithespirit Target OS: Windows 10 home edition

When Backup failed it didn’t show any error as veeam wasn’t able to process host details

The target machine has an administrator account and used both ways

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Blithespirit Target OS: Windows 10 home edition

When Backup failed it didn’t show any error as veeam wasn’t able to process host details

The target machine has an administrator account and used both ways

If you go to C:\programdata\veeam\ and find your backup job, have a look in the logs for any errors and paste them here please. As the target OS is Windows 10 Home Edition, it can’t be joined to a domain so you’re likely having issues with UAC. See if you have any errors such as “Cannot connect to the host’s administrative share”

Check out this link for more information: Backup failing due to UAC? - Veeam R&D Forums

In summary, Veeam will try to deploy components as part of initial setup by deploying them to the administrative share of the target machine, but such connections are blocked by UAC when the credentials aren’t the built in admin account or when the user isn’t a domain joined account. You can bypass this with the registry key in the link above :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi guys, 

I still not able to perform backup. My VBR backup server was setup using virtualbox. Can u tell me on the network settings, what kind of an adapter(i.e, NAT/Bridged/internal/generic driver/host-only adapter) should choose so that I could integrate with the physical machine and perform backup?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi guys, 

I still not able to perform backup. My VBR backup server was setup using virtualbox. Can u tell me on the network settings, what kind of an adapter(i.e, NAT/Bridged/internal/generic driver/host-only adapter) should choose so that I could integrate with the physical machine and perform backup?

Bridged :) so they can speak to each other at Layer 2 :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi guys, 

Bridged :) so they can speak to each other at Layer 2 :)

Yes this for sure :point_up_tone2:

Comment