Improvements to Veeam Cloud Connect’s Public Networking

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

When provisioning public IP addresses within VCC there isn’t a mechanism that allows to assign/unassign public IP addresses to specific customers.

Scenario: I have multiple IP address blocks, each with a different default gateway, if I pre-populate these various blocks into VCC, it will pick an IP address at random, regardless of the primary IP, subnet and default GW assigned to the NEA with no way of correcting this. The only workaround is to keep only the IP addresses in use within the configuration and when expanding the number of IP addresses used by a customer, provisioning the addition IP into the VCC configuration and then immediately increasing the public IP count for that customer by the number of additional IP required.

This causes headaches if a customer outgrows the available IP addresses within a scope and requires a lot of work to reconfigure failover plans etc vs a centralised management.

How does everybody else deal with this? I’d like to see Veeam enable some form of proper management of this via the GUI, agreed?

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Not the VCC gateways, but the actual NEA for a full cloud failover. :)

For full failover we don’t use the NEA. Customers did not like it only for partial failover. Normally a firewall of some kind or just a pfsense with vpn capability into their segregated vlan. From what I understand Veeam is pushing people in the future in the direction of NSX edge. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Not the VCC gateways, but the actual NEA for a full cloud failover. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

i hope, i have not misread your question :) are you talking about the public ips of the vcc gateways?

Gateway pools should be the answer.

You can configure which set of gateways can be used for each customer

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/cloud/cloud_gateway_pool.html?ver=100

Comment