Solved

How to use agent for B&R server backup for BareMetal recovery.

• 25 November 2021
  • 6 comments

Hi, I’m hoping someone can point me in the correct direction.

I have Veeam B&R Community edition server running on my Windows 10 workstation. I do backups of the O/S drive daily and monthly, the user data hourly and monthly and the VM drive daily and monthly.

I wanted to have bare-metal recovery but it turns out that Veeam’s bare metal recovery only works if the backups are taken by a Veeam Windows agent implementation. I tried this but because I am already backing data using B&R the agent policy fails.

How can I get a bare-metal recovery option?

I used to use Windows backup but I keep getting issues with other drives getting flagged as required and that blows out the space required for the Windows backup.

Thanks in anticipation.

Bob

icon

Best answer by Mildur 25 November 2021, 12:08

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @BlobZ 

If your VBR Server is a VM, and you have done a VM Backup, you need to restore it as a vm.

You cannot convert the VM Backup into an agent Backup. For VM Backups, use this Guide:

VM Recovery - User Guide for Microsoft Hyper-V (veeam.com)

VM Recovery - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

For Agent Backups, use this guide:

Perform Bare Metal Recovery - Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Guide

My own recommendation:

• VM Backup → Backup the entire vm. Do not create multiple backup jobs for each type of data
  • Agent Backup → Backup the entire computer. Do not create multiple backup jobs for each type of data

For doing a baremetal restore of an agent backup, it’s best to use volume level or entire computer backups. You need to make sure, that in the backup, the volume with the operating system is included.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@Mildur but is it possible to backup a physical server/client without using agent products? Never heard of it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Mildur but is it possible to backup a physical server/client without using agent products? Never heard of it.

No, it is not possible.

I have somehow wrongly assumed, his windows 10 machine is a vm on the hypervisor.

@BlobZ  should us Agent Backup with the entire Computer option, if it‘s physical. 👍
Exclude only the drive which contains the backup files, if they are on the same workstation.

Thanks for the responses.  The Windows 10 machine is physical and it runs the B&R server. I have a NAS where the backups from the B&R server are stored. The problem seems to be that because I have hourly backups of user data drive plus daily backups of O/S and VM drives I cannot set up a policy for the server itself. I’d like to do this to a rotating disk collection so that if say a fire destroys everything I still have the bare metal recovery on the rotating drive which is stored in a fire-proof safe. I also have monthly backups of the O/S, data and VM drives offline. 

Since I tried to add an agent backup for the B&R server all jobs are failing. In the inventory the host is shown with a status of “Unsupported O/S”. Any ides how to resolve that please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Which Windows 10 Version and VBR Version are you using?

You need the newest VBR version (11a) for the newest Windows 10 version, as far as I remember.

Comment