Solved

How can I identify VMs that were never properly configured for backups. Or somehow aren't being backed up at the frequency intended?

Userlevel 5
Badge
  • Experienced User
  • 65 comments

Create a knowledge graph with data from my Veeam backup servers in order to verify that backups were configured and running for intended VMs. 

For example: The data could be compared via query against data in your IT Asset Management that defines which machines are supposed to be protected.

You may find it helpful to also have your VMware data within your graph

icon

Best answer by Cragdoo 11 October 2022, 15:44

View original

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Isn’t this exactly what the Veeam One ‘Protected VMs’ report is for ?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/one/reporter/protected_vms.html?ver=110

You could leverage the REST API and send the data to your graphing tool of choice?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You can extract this data with PowerShell and build e.g. HTML reports, too .

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Exactly, Veeam One offers that info.

Before having it, we were managing our backup policies from veeam grouping the vms with tags, and we make sure that all vms were tagged properly, exporting a list weekly from vcenter and seen that at least, all vms had a tag. Gold Silver or Bronce, depending on the Backup plan / criticality.

cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Isn’t this exactly what the Veeam One ‘Protected VMs’ report is for ?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/one/reporter/protected_vms.html?ver=110

You could leverage the REST API and send the data to your graphing tool of choice?

Yes, I agree with you Craig that is what this report is for in VONE.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Exactly, Veeam One offers that info.

Before having it, we were managing our backup policies from veeam grouping the vms with tags, and we make sure that all vms were tagged properly, exporting a list weekly from vcenter and seen that at least, all vms had a tag. Gold Silver or Bronce, depending on the Backup plan / criticality.

cheers.

Luca Dell’Oca created a script that might be useful …...waaay back in 2016. Could be modified to meet your needs?

https://www.virtualtothecore.com/backups-vms-2016-edition/

Userlevel 5
Badge

Sir @Chris.Childerhose iam looking for Neo4j related content with Veeam

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Sir @Chris.Childerhose iam looking for Neo4j related content with Veeam

Then you are going to have to look into the API of Veeam instead I think then instead of VONE.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I know the Service Provider Console has built-in alarms for this as well.  Obviously, not everyone will have that though.  Still, Veeam ONE is the answer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I’d most likely go Veeam 1 for this report or use Veeam Powershell. Veeam One will be easier. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I agree with @Cragdoo and @Chris.Childerhose : Veeam ONE report Protected VMs is the best way to detect the VMs not being backed up / protected. This is the best solution in an environment of the customer itself. Next to that report you have many other interesting reports (oversized and undersized VMs) and many more. I you are a service provider you have 2 choices : use the service provider console as @dloseke already mentioned. If you are already using a monitoring tool for monitoring other things, perhaps the best way is to use powershell scripts running on the backup-servers of the customers and giving back the results as output-parameters to the monitoring-tool

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Doing a trial on Veeam ONE as we speak and am going to push for a purchase of it.. There is a ton of great info in there.

Unfortunately I under estimated my DB size and filled it right away lol. Either way I got the testing to know how much value it can add. I don’t think there is a need to migrate to full SQL as I can do that when I reinstall in PROD.

Comment