Solved

Full Restore folder size less then the original

Userlevel 1
  • Comes here often
  • 9 comments

Dears Community member

i did backup using Veeam Backup and Replication community edition my backup server based in Windows 2012 R2 i do backup from SMB and its success the size i over 100 GB 

now im trying to restore the files to Backup server by using Restore entire share but the restored size is only 1.3 GB only iam trying with more than one backup set

icon

Best answer by regnor 11 July 2021, 08:10

View original

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @abdu ,

sorry, without further information it is difficult to say anyrhing useful to your problem.

Please provide errors, logs or something that tells us what is going on there.

Userlevel 1

hear three snapshot 

And restored folder size

the complete backup statistics 100 GB 

Restore Result Status  with 100 GB

file size only 1.3 GB 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Do you have full permissions on the restored folder? I would suspect that either you don't have the permissions or UAC is blocking you from viewing the content.

Userlevel 1

may thiere are the permission issue while im using the user from active directory to make backup 

how i can link this user to restore operation? the backup server is not joined to the domain and im making restore by using the backup server administrator users 

any help please

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Well I'm just guessing, but please try to take the ownership of the restored folder and its content. In the security tab of the folder, go to advanced, add yourself as the owner and then apply and save; also check that you want to replace the owner for all subfolders. Afterwards add yourself with full access to the folder and after saving check if you now see more files.

During a regular file restore you have the option to preserve the permissions. For a NAS file restore I have to admit, that I don't really know how the permissions are handled.

Userlevel 1

you mean i have to take owner ship for backup folder however i have full access for both backup and restore

but when i made backup to login to share im using another user from Active Directory

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @abdu ,
is thus the restore to the backup you asked about in your last topic?

This backup had several folders that got not backed up. We assumed a permission problem there, too.

Userlevel 1

Hi @abdu ,
is thus the restore to the backup you asked about in your last topic?

This backup had several folders that got not backed up. We assumed a permission problem there, too.

Exactly Dear JMeixner last time i was cannot do backup but i can do if make backup for each folder in shared and after use other user from active directory which have read permission to most folders 

now how i can restore it by using administrator user but its from backup server and not joined to the domain

also i need to make sure if i can restore file  in any case even if active directory is totally lost 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

In my environments I have a functional backup user with all necessary permissions. With this user backup and restore is possible without problems.

Userlevel 1

Great 

now in my environment i need a way to restore files by using specific active directory user or with the any user from any user out side domian 

its any way?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

It shouldn't matter where you restore your backups and whether it's a domain system or not. My guess was that Windows is preventing you from accessing all restored files because of UAC or missing file permissions.

If both aren't an issue then I would suggest that you open a ticket with support and let them check.

Comment