Experience with XFS

Show first post

38 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have installed a SOBR with three extents of XFS in our largest VCC datacenter.  It works extremely well and have not had issues.  We did mix it with ReFS but that was a bad idea and created a new SOBR just for XFS alone and no mixing.

We also try to keep SOBRs at 2-3 extents maximum and then create new ones as needed.

Thanks Chris!

What was the problem(s) when mixing XFS with ReFS in a SOBR?

Just that XFS and ReFS did not play well together so it is best to have them separate.  Been rock solid since.

Userlevel 3
Badge

We’ve had ~30 Ubuntu 20.04 repo’s in production since v10 launch in 2020, all with reflink enabled; the majority being at client sites and then a few ~500TB extents in sobr’s at our data centers; they all have been rock solid, which is to be expected from linux.

• stability - no issues at all
  • performance (over time) - hasn’t changed in a year; only limited by the disk iops available from your hardware
  • needs for troubleshooting - no troubleshooting over the past year
  • administrative effort - linux experience or being a fast learner is important for the initial design and deployment; hardware monitoring/testing to determine the number of concurrent jobs that your hardware can handle requires some effort in the beginning but that applies to any OS; after that, cron jobs take care of updates and we schedule a manual reboot of the repo’s whenever an update notifies us that it requires it
Userlevel 1
Badge

I have successfully tested XFS repos in a POC.

One of my customers wants to exchange Windows repos with Linux.

Immutability flag is the most convincing argument.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I have installed a SOBR with three extents of XFS in our largest VCC datacenter.  It works extremely well and have not had issues.  We did mix it with ReFS but that was a bad idea and created a new SOBR just for XFS alone and no mixing.

We also try to keep SOBRs at 2-3 extents maximum and then create new ones as needed.

Thanks Chris!

What was the problem(s) when mixing XFS with ReFS in a SOBR?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

No experiences on large scale just some tests on old storage array, works pretty well.

I’m excited to build a large (many PB+ ) SOF xfs based, 2021 will be fun! :nerd:

Thanks for sharing interesting links @vNote42 , from my pov XFS/Reflink is more old and stable than reFs when it appears.

It is true for a while the refs driver was buggy :(

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I had tried to set up XFS as a Veeam repository and failed. No real help from the support either and I had to settle with NFS based repository. But this was with v10.

Thanks for the information @gulzarshaikhveeam. What did not work?

It used to fail to get added as a repository. The support tried various steps but it did not work ATT. Case # 04450930

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I had tried to set up XFS as a Veeam repository and failed. No real help from the support either and I had to settle with NFS based repository. But this was with v10.

Thanks for the information @gulzarshaikhveeam. What did not work?

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

No experiences on large scale just some tests on old storage array, works pretty well.

I’m excited to build a large (many PB+ ) SOF xfs based, 2021 will be fun! :nerd:

Thanks for sharing interesting links @vNote42 , from my pov XFS/Reflink is more old and stable than reFs when it appears.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Not yet, but I have a few customers VERY interested and will be testing soon with them. I will update here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

actually no one has any experiences with XFS as Veeam repository to share?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

For all those are interested in this topic as well, check out the in-depth video about XFS as a repository here: https://community.veeam.com/blogs-and-podcasts-57/building-secure-linux-repositories-168

Comment