exFAT Filesystem may corrupt Veeam backup files

• 1 November 2021
  • 6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hopefully no one uses exFAT but if you do check out this KB referencing corrupted files that are possible.

KB4233: exFAT Filesystem may corrupt Veeam backup files

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Just saw this and my first thought was, “huh, I suppose that would work, but WHY???”

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Just saw this and my first thought was, “huh, I suppose that would work, but WHY???”

No idea why you would pick that FS but who knows.  There are those out there. :joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Same as @MicoolPaul , it’s second KB I’m asking “why?” :joy: 

Because it's the only filesystem that natively supports read/write by both macOS and Windows? And there are people “out there” that share external drives between those two systems? Yea, guilty as charged :)

And you may ask yourself why is this guy posting on a year-old thread? Well, here's the reason, as seen here:

exFAT file system is no longer supported as a backup target, please change your backup job settings accordingly.

Same here. I ran into this while testing veeam for the first time on my computer.

I run a 1 TB drive between my Mac (and friends’/partner’s Macs) and my gaming PC(and my partner’s gaming PC and any other windows device).

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I’d always only use journaling FS’es for my backups. NTFS, ReFS, ext3/4 or XFS.

Non-journaling ones as e.g. (ex)FAT or ext2 are prone to error when things don’t run smoothly. 

Comment