Solved

Disk exclusion issue

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi team,

I have a new backup I am running that is failing at the first full. It fails and says that it cannot find a VMDK file that is located in an excluded disk. The error reads: “Processing servername Error: File 'X.vmdk' was not found.

This disk is a USB attached storage device, but it was added to vmware as an iscsi drive so that we can exclude it in VBR. I have double checked the disk exclusions and confirmed that I have told the job to only back up the correct disks (the disks that aren’t this USB attached storage). I have also checked the checkbox to remove excluded disks from configuration.

The file is present in vcenter. I checked. I can’t figure out what is going on and why this job is failing due to a file that should not even matter because I have excluded from the job, the disk the file is located on.

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 7 April 2022, 19:56

View original

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Unsure on this one.  Might be wise to open a case with Support.  Will keep looking but if you excluded it then backups should run.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Does the job give some more errors or warnings?

Would it be possible to move the VMDK to another datastore? Is this specific file of a type Veeam does not support? (Have to search in my notes, there are some VMware disk types Veeam does not support).

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It definitely does not support RDM disks for sure as well as Independent (I think 😋)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Defo gonna need some logs and context to look at this one more, Veeam support will be your friend for this.

As @Chris.Childerhose has mentioned, RDM & independent disks aren’t supported, though I suspect your issue is either permissions or presentation of storage based.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

It’s a VMDK file. The backup runs fine up until this point and it just fails. One of the Hard Disks also shows errored in the job, but it doesn’t say what the error is. Also of note, the errored hard disk does not contain this file. When you look at the failure cause, this file being ‘missing’ is the reason it lists. I can go to vcenter, to the excluded drive, and the file is there. It’s very strange.

I just ran a rescan of the host, in Veeam. I’ll see if that makes a difference.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It’s a VMDK file. The backup runs fine up until this point and it just fails. One of the Hard Disks also shows errored in the job, but it doesn’t say what the error is. Also of note, the errored hard disk does not contain this file. When you look at the failure cause, this file being ‘missing’ is the reason it lists. I can go to vcenter, to the excluded drive, and the file is there. It’s very strange.

I just ran a rescan of the host, in Veeam. I’ll see if that makes a difference.

Hopefully that does or of you wanted another way around it make the disk Independent instead and it will get excluded for sure. 😄

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

What mode are you using to process the VMDK? Direct SAN Access, Storage Snapshots, Hot-Add, Network? If Hot-Add or Network, see what vCenter says when Veeam is attempting to perform its actions

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Also you could try swapping your processing mode to see if the error persists

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Can you post a screenshot of the error message and the VM configuration?

Comment