Solved

Credentials for SQL DB backup (VeeamBackup DB)

Userlevel 4

Hello,

I need to create a SQL DB backup for VeeamBackup DB (VBR 10). I’m using MS SQL Server Management Studio with Windows Authentication however the DB is not accessible with this user, do I need to use SQL Server Authentication with th “sa” user? if yes, I don’t have the password, is there a default password? if no, can I try to reset this password without problems?

Thanks for your help,

Omar De Souza.

icon

Best answer by Mildur 4 August 2021, 22:45

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

You can use this guide from Microsoft to create a admin account for you to access the database. Or reset the sa password.

This query should help you with that in mssql single user mode:

CREATE LOGIN TempLogin WITH PASSWORD = '************';  
ALTER SERVER ROLE sysadmin ADD MEMBER TempLogin;

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/configure-windows/connect-to-sql-server-when-system-administrators-are-locked-out?view=sql-server-ver15

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@omar.desouza - depending if your SQL Server is setup up with Mixed Authentication mode - Windows & SQL or just Windows or SQL then you will need an account that has the rights to log in.

Typically when you install Veeam the account you use for the Services is also created in SQL too with access to the DBs and Server Admin.  If you cannot access the SQL with the account then you will need to find another way to log in with either SA or another account with rights.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You can use this guide from Microsoft to create a admin account for you too access the database. Or reset the sa password.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/configure-windows/connect-to-sql-server-when-system-administrators-are-locked-out?view=sql-server-ver15

Yes this is a very good article too.  Good mention @Mildur 

Userlevel 4

Thanks guys for your help!

Userlevel 1

in the page before the credentials you need to change the used credentials for Veeam with SQL from local account to specific account 

that will help you to connect to SQL DB by Windows Authentication 

Comment