Solved

Copyjob failing due to running backup

• 23 September 2021
  • 6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi, team

I have a weird one for you. Have you ever seen a copyjob fail due to a normal backup running at the same time? I have been running into an issue where a copyjob is running and then a scheduled backup starts while the copyjob is running. When this happens, the copyjob will fail and throw the error: ”Source restore point is locked by another job 

My understanding is that this should not happen. I did notice that the last time it happened, there was an incremental to full backup file merge happening. I am not sure if that may be the cause in this case, but I do not believe that is always what’s happening when I see this error.

The copyjob is set to Immediate with a 24x7 schedule.

This server is running VBR v.11

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 23 September 2021, 16:36

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes this is expected with Copy Jobs that rely on the main backup jobs.  When the copy is running and the primary job kicks off it kills the copy.

There is a setting in the Copy jobs to check off about not allow it to be interrupted with the main job as well towards the end of the wizard. --- Actually there is no setting here my mistake as I just checked.

But typically you schedule the Copy job outside of the window of the primary job.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@Chris.Childerhose Chris, this is all great info. Thank you so much! I am going to edit the schedule now.

My pleasure.  Keeps me sharp while I study for VMCE2021 :joy:

VMCE2021 stuff is a great source of information :joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Also this will definitely happen if you are using the Immediate Copy mode.  Maybe try using the Periodic Copy mode and see how that works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Chris.Childerhose Chris, this is all great info. Thank you so much! I am going to edit the schedule now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I am hoping to be taking the course very soon.

Comment