Solved

Copy files to Google Cloud platform

Userlevel 1

Hi

I use veeam v11 Enterprise plus solution to back-up my environnent. 

Veeam is installed in all-in-one configuration a local physical server.

I bought a google cloud storage in order to get an other copu of my datas on the cloud.

I created a SOBR on my backup infrastructure, with a local NAS as performance Tier and GPC bucket as capacity tier with the copy operation.

This operation succeeded and i see on GPC administration page a Veeam/Archive folder.

Then i created a job to back-up a small folder in order to try it.

The job succeeded with a warning regarding to cache serve limited space.

In local repository i can find backup files, but on the bucket ther is nothing.

I don’t understand why i have no error message but i can’t see backup files on the GPC bucket ?

icon

Best answer by Mildur 29 November 2021, 15:22

View original

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

hi @pbidondo 

Veeam does not store Backup Files in the Cloud. Veeam stores unique blocks of the backup files as objects in the object storage.

Manual interfering in the bucket is not supported. Only Veeam is able to read and work with the data.

The structure should look like this:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/object_storage_repository_structure.html?ver=110

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You can configure when the data is copied from the performance tier to the other tier.

It can be done at once or daily or after a configurable time.

I don't have a server at my hands today, so I cannot provide a screenshot ….

So, if you don't see any data at your cloud tier, I think this would be a good starting point to investigate.

Userlevel 1

hi @pbidondo 

Veeam does not store Backup Files in the Cloud. Veeam stores unique blocks of the backup files as objects in the object storage.

Manual interfering in the bucket is not supported. Only Veeam is able to read and work with the data.

The structure should look like this:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/object_storage_repository_structure.html?ver=110

I have not this structure. I just get the three first element including archive folder.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I have not this structure. I just get the three first element including archive folder.

Ok, can you tell us more about the type of the backup Job you are trying to offload?

Can you check the status of the offloads Jobs?

You can find it in the history under Storage Management in your vbr console:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Ok, can you tell us more about the type of the backup Job you are trying to offload?

Checking this plus the logs in C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup will also help narrow down the issue.

Userlevel 1

Checking this plus the logs in C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup will also help narrow down the issue.

I attached the history. All seems to be good. But nothing is copied.

The offload job are running each 4 hours, but i does not configure it as is. In SOBR capacity tier Tab i choosed Copy mode and not move mode. In SOBR Offload log file, it seems to use the move mode and i can’t understand why.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@pbidondo 

Are you sure, that your backup job has targeted the SOBR?

Can you send a screenshot of the backup job? Is it a File Share Backup Job? This are not possible to offload in a SOBR.

Userlevel 1

@pbidondo

Can you send a screenshot of the backup job? Is it a File Share Backup Job? This are not possible to offload in a SOBR.

It is a File Share backup job. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@pbidondo

@pbidondo 

Ok, now we know what is wrong in your case. You cannot “copy” file share backups to a capacity tier. That’s because nothing is happening.

For file share backup jobs, the object storage can only be used for offloading older file versions or deleted files. It’s called Archive Repo. If you want to leverage this function, you need to add the object storage directly in the backup job. You cannot use your SOBR for that.

4 The object storage repository added as a Capacity Tier in SOBR is not used for storing NAS backups. To archive NAS backup files to an object storage repository, assign it as an archive repository when creating a file share backup job.

Please read more about that here:

NAS Backup Support - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Userlevel 1

@pbidondo

@pbidondo

Ok, now we know what is wrong in your case. You cannot “copy” file share backups to a capacity tier. That’s because nothing is happening.

For file share backup jobs, the object storage can only be used for offloading older file versions or deleted files. It’s called Archive Repo. If you want to leverage this function, you need to add the object storage directly in the backup job. You cannot use your SOBR for that.

4 The object storage repository added as a Capacity Tier in SOBR is not used for storing NAS backups. To archive NAS backup files to an object storage repository, assign it as an archive repository when creating a file share backup job.

Please read more about that here:

NAS Backup Support - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Your welcome :-)

Comment