Solved

Confirm Config password

• 17 November 2022
  • 8 comments

Userlevel 2

Sorry if this appears twice. I thought I had created the question, but cannot find it.

Veeam backup&restore has an application config file that is protected by a password.
How to I test this password? I do have something written but I want to prove it is correct.

I’m hoping to do this without installing a new copy of the application

Many thanks

icon

Best answer by regnor 18 November 2022, 09:25

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I would think the only way to test it would be to restore from it to a dummy setup.  I am unsure if there is any other way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Unless there is a way to test it with PowerShell maybe or another utility in Veeam.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I would think the only way to test it would be to restore from it to a dummy setup.  I am unsure if there is any other way.

This would be my best guess.  I’m not aware of another way.  Generally it should be pretty easy to build up a dummy VM, deploy VBR and then restore the config, but it is some work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Oh...and the other option is to create a new password and start new backups of the config file with the new password so you know it for sure.  I’ve done this as well.  It doesn’t hurt to rotate passwords on (perhaps rare) occasion of course.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Oh...and the other option is to create a new password and start new backups of the config file with the new password so you know it for sure.  I’ve done this as well.  It doesn’t hurt to rotate passwords on (perhaps rare) occasion of course.

Yeah, that is another good idea if in doubt. 👍🏼

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You don’t need to actually restore the configuration backup. Just open the Configuration Restore Utility on your existing backup server and click through it, till you need to enter the password. If your password is correct, you’ll be able to get to the next step; don’t proceed and just cancel the restore!

By the way. If you should really lose your password, you will still be able to restore the configuration backup. It will just exclude all passwords; so after it restored the configuration, you need to manually enter all you passwords for user accounts, etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

You don’t need to actually restore the configuration backup. Just open the Configuration Restore Utility on your existing backup server and click through it, till you need to enter the password. If your password is correct, you’ll be able to get to the next step; don’t proceed and just cancel the restore!

Oh...yeah, that would make sense…I hadn’t considered the process since I’ve only done it a handfull of times.

By the way. If you should really lose your password, you will still be able to restore the configuration backup. It will just exclude all passwords; so after it restored the configuration, you need to manually enter all you passwords for user accounts, etc.

This I did not know!  Good into to have.

Userlevel 2

Many thanks all.

Special thanks to regnor - great idea.

Comment