Solved

Can anyone guide me for best practise in Backup Jobs

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi,

Hereby attached backup job screenshot, can anyone guide me the options to be configured as best practise.

Manish

icon

Best answer by Manish 19 April 2022, 13:37

View original

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Your backup frequency and retention are specific to your needs. How much data loss can the business tolerate? If they can tolerate 24 hours of data loss, I’d suggest running every 12 hours so you have N+1 fault tolerance for job failures, it gives you up to 12 hours to find and fix the fault before you violate your RPO.

As for your retention, haha we far back do you need to go in your backups? There may be legislative or regulatory needs to be met here, so consult your business as to what they need, then size to support this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Assuming your testing right now? I recommend going through the vSphere (assume again you’re using VMware & not Hyper-V) User Guide on configuring a Backup Job here. You can also review the Veeam Best Practice Guide here. A LOT of factors determine what you need to configure for a Backup (or Replication) job. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Userlevel 4
Badge

It is used in production and the server from where the backup is taken i.e. source is Windows Server on bare metal hardware. No VMWare / Hyper-V.

I got it that I need to question myself as to what RPO is best for me accordingly I need to configure.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Then yes, just install the CBT and reboot manually, that’ll help!

Comment